Powerbook G4 RAM (1.5Ghz)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shieldyoureyes, Nov 1, 2005.

1. shieldyoureyes macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I wanted to upgrade the memory in my new 12" Powerbook, but I was confused about what kind of memory I could put in it. Would any 200 pin DDR333 (PC2700)work, or do I need to get something specified to work with a mac? Any recomendations for where I should buy it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Macs are picky about RAM, don't just get any stick. Datamem.com is my recommendation. Crucial is also very good. Don't buy RAM unless the manufacture and/or retailer guarantees Mac compatibility with that specific stick.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Hi, welcome to MacRumors.

The first thing, if you have a question, do a Search and see if if has been answered before.

Secondly: The memory sold by discounters like NewEgg are generic chips that NewEgg does not guarantee compatibilty with any machines. So you are on your own whether it will work or not. Worst case, you will be out time, trouble, shipping costs and perhaps restocking costs to get a refund.

For RAM to be compatible with a Mac, the Serial Presence Detect settings must be correct. Your best way to ensure this is to purchase from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Macintosh, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Many people like Crucial or OWC, I like Data Memory Systems in the USA

4. shieldyoureyes thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Thanks for the help.

I did a search before I posted and came up empty handed. Maybe I just suck.
  5. nborders macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005
    If you don't know what to buy, go back to your apple store and ask. The'll hook you up with the correct RAM. You don't want to get second rate RAM. Doing that will just cause your performance to not be at it's potential.

6. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Well...you'll pay 3 times what you would pay somewhere else though...