Powerbook G4 Recover Files

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ted124b, May 10, 2006.

1. ted124b macrumors member

Oct 25, 2005
    Help! Last night my powerbook stopped starting up. it would just hang after a start-up in to osx I popped in the re-install cds and tried to do an archive and install... that failed then it came up telling me i would have to do a regular install (NOT the erase and install so i don't think the harddrive was reformatted in this process)... anyways that type of install has failed 3 times now... I get an error message towards then end of the install that says i must try again later... I'm going to eventually have to do a reformat and install but before I do that I want to try and access my documents and pictures and get them on a disk... It has unfortunately been a few weeks since i backed up.. any ideas? I have a mac mini, I was trying to think of ways to pull the harddrive and connect it to the mac mini via some sort of adaptor? thanks any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  2. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    You need to hook up a firewire cable between the computers and put the pb in "target mode" to pull info off the hard drive.
  3. ted124b thread starter macrumors member

Oct 25, 2005

Thanks worked great! I couldnt help but wodnering when i was done

does cross platform target mode work IE
    if i had a macbook pro and an g4 mac mini could they 'communicate'

does the macbook pro even have target disk mode or is it somehow tied to the architecture of the powerpc processor.

thanks for your help it worked great!!