Powerbook G4 screen question.....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by phildexter, Sep 27, 2004.

1. phildexter macrumors member

Hello people! Well, I've had my powerbook now for about 6 weeks and about a week ago I noticed that about 30% of the screen in the lower right corner appears to quite dark when I first boot up. It seems to sort it self out after about 30 minutes of being on, but it's very noticable when I first switch the PB on. LIke I said I've only noticed it within the past week, so does anyone have any idea what it could be due to? is my Powerbook faulty? Thanks - Phil!

2. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

You know what, I get the same thing on my PB 15" and I've always thought I was the only one, or maybe I squished the screen in my bag by accident or something. But it does go away, so I've never really worried too hard about it.

But you are not alone...

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I would contact my reseller, its better to fix it under warranty than it is to fix it after it expires... It could get worse.. 30% is quite a large part of the screen.

4. Jays macrumors member

yes i agree get it fixed asap.
    to be honest i am starting to get fed up with apples expensive and problematic hardware, my PowerBook is going for the 3ed time back to be repaired for screen problems yes this will be my third screen replacement for my 4 months old PB! (evert time it takes 3 weeks I have had little pleasure from it so far. in my opinion apples hardware component are becoming less quality than they used to be my G5 has has some serious issues too... I love OS X but would rather use better hardware until than we are going to throw thousands more on not to great but very expensive hardware...

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I think its a warm up problem. The pixels just need to get warmed up, thats all. Does it do the same thing when it wakes from sleep. I'm unsure if Apple would concider this a problem worth replacing a whole screen for. Because it does sort itself out, and I don't know if anyone has linked it to lowering the life of the screen.

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Doesn't sound good to me... I'd get it checked out while still being under warrenty.

7. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

That's normal, mine has always done that. Don't worry about it.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've never had it, and others know who has powerbooks/ibooks doesn't have that problem either.

9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I wouldn't consider that normal... sounds like a defect that should be repaired.

10. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

I think it's perfectly normal. When I do a cold boot and the grey screen with the apple is the only thing i see, both of the bottom corners are considerably darker. It does go away after it warms up. Mine has ALWAYS done this, and the computer is only a year or so old. If i do a reboot after being on it for a while the corners are about the same...

Don't worry about it.

11. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

ive never experienced that problem in my 1month old PB...

12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

They'll fix it, but...

I had pretty much the exact same problem with my 12" iBook G4. For a long time, it didn't really bother me enough to do anything about it, but eventually I called Apple and they told me to send it in for repair. I did, but when it came back it had a dead pixel (although the screen was nice and bright). So the moral of the story is that Apple will replace the screen, but you're taking your chances that they will screw up something else.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just because yours has always done that, does that make it normal? I'd phone up to see if they'd replace it. If they refuse, its probably something they were told specifically is NOT a problem, but a normal occurence. If they accept it, then it may be a fault.

14. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i don't know if this necessarily applies here, but some powerbooks have been having screen issues, and apple will replace them. check the serial numbers listed in this article to see if yours is included. it just so happens my number is included in there. i've noticed screen issues but i've never been all that picky as to get it replaced. i suppose i can be. i will have gotten a new computer practically from apple after i send this in. two logicboard(includes graphics set and processor) replacements, a set of ram, and a hard drive. add the screen and that's a computer (making a total of 3 repair times). it's a shame but their applecare service is quick and easy. i only wish they could have replaced my screen on a previous repair, forseeing the problem. it's all good though, everything gets fixed.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Believe it or not, my iMac G4 does this too! It doesn't concern me though - I consider it 100% normal and just a limitation of the way the LCD was manufactured.

16. geezabloke macrumors newbie

I've had that problem too

But my laptop is out of warrenty now, and yes it was just due to the screen warming up and faded after about 20 mins of use.....but......

Lately, it doesn't dissapear, it now stay there all day long, ive even tried working in a warmer room with the screen close to a heat source! but alas, the screen is darker..... it is also growing as well, from the small corner it used to take up, it is creeping bigger and bigger.

I would advise you all to get is looked at ASAP, and not leave it like I did.

It is by no means normal, if it was, all powerbooks would suffer from it, just like track pad wear!

Best of luck to you all

Glen