Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bailey0799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
My specs are:
Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0
Hard Drive Space:
80gb HDD (total)
Free Space: 62.62gb

My Operating System is
Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger)

UPDATE 1: OK i will upgrade BUT i dumbly used my mac (before i upgraded) as my last computer to sync with...

will i be able to upgrade and still sync my iPod touch or not? if there is anyway to fix this tell me!!!!

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I say go for it. My Cube has similar specs (1.5Ghz, 738Mb ram) to your PowerBook and it runs wonderfully. My only recommendation is you wipe and install. Don't upgrade from Tiger. Leopard seems to run faster when its new as opposed to an upgrade.

Bailey0799

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
@intell Thank You for that tip but i am still stuck...

Last edited:

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I did and it works wonderful. I too suggest a fresh clean install and not the "upgrade." But, for me I had to do the "upgrade" route because I didn't have space on my external hard drive for backup.

See sig for powerbook specs.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I'd say go for it.

I'm currently typing on a Atom netbook powered by Leopard 10.6.8 and it performs well with just 1 GB RAM. In terms of processor power it's on par or slightly faster than your PB, so I'd say go for it.

Actually I would suggest to Time Machine your current system and backup your HD with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Boot from the external, make sure everything is ok, wipe your HD, install Leopard in it and recover your data from a Time Machine backup: It will be like you never left your Tiger installation.

If it's not satisfactory, just wipe your HD, plug in your external, boot from your backup and clone it back you Tiger system.

Cheers

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'd stick with TIger for any PPC machine personally but thats just me.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Just weight in the points, what do you want, a "speedier" OS (which I doubt - Tiger) for your PPC mac or an OS that still have security support in this case Leopard?

Its always a compromise.

Riky.loebis

macrumors newbie
I'd say go for it.

first, max ur memory for working good with leopard (done,Memory: 1.25 GB)
I suggest a fresh clean install and not the "upgrade."
most of new apps mininum support with os leopard

Last edited:

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have the same laptop. It runs fine. I just took off some of the effects ithe dock and it seems to be running great, not any change from tiger that I notice.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I relegated my 12" PB (same specs as yours) to our file server and it works fine on Leopard. Spaces is a total must for that size screen (although I usually remote in now since it's in our basement).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.