Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lungkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I just acquired a PowerBook G4 (Ti) 867MHz a few days ago, the computer itself is working fine with Tiger or Leopard.

I'm trying to get Mac OS 9.2.2 running on this computer, but didn't get any luck at all. I did some online search on this issue, it seems there's no retail CD of Mac OS 9.2.2 could ever boot on this computer. The only solution to get this computer running with Mac OS 9.2.2 is to use the system restore DVD came with the computer itself.

I have called AppleCare too, but the man said they're not providing system restore DVDs for such an old computer either.

I'm wondering if there's anyone willing to sell this DVD to me, or maybe share a copy with me. That would be greatly appreciated.

The compatible DVD version should be 691-4060 or 691-4316. These two are the only two PowerBook G4 restore DVDs I want.

Last edited:

lungkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I found this when I was booting my MDD into OS 9!

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-922-powermac-g4-mdd

You will need to be running Tiger (10.4) and simply follow the instructions on the website in the description and it can boot as Classic or as a bootable OS.

Hope you have a great Day!:apple:

I have found this too. The image itself is for PowerMac G4 and I don't think it will work on my PowerBook. I have another PowerMac G4 restore disc, I tried using it and turns out the Mac OS 9 it installs/restores is very unstable for a PowerBook G4. (no sound support, freezes all the time)

http://inefficienciestoday.blogspot.com/2011/04/download-restore-image-for-titanium.html
I have also found this, but unfortunately I can't download anything from the link posted on the blog.

I'll try this PowerMac G4 image later this day, although I don't think it will help much. Thanks for your tip though. :)

Last edited:

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Try that version from macintoshgarden. I have used it on all of my G3 machines, and a few G4 ones as well. In the worst case scenario it will give you an error when you try to install OS9.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Try that version from macintoshgarden. I have used it on all of my G3 machines, and a few G4 ones as well. In the worst case scenario it will give you an error when you try to install OS9.

I've found that it won't give an error, it'll just stop, and for me, the screen went haywire (backlight blinking on and off). This is on my MDD, using a retail disk instead of system.

Of course, my graphics card is from an older model, that could be it.

lungkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013

Just tried that image, surprisingly it actually boots without an error on my PowerBook G4, but lacks AirPort support in the end. The AirPort Card works fine itself, I'm able to use it on Leopard and another OS 9 version (which this version lacks sound support).

I think the best solution for this is using an original restore DVD.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Just tried that image, surprisingly it actually boots without an error on my PowerBook G4, but lacks AirPort support in the end. The AirPort Card works fine itself, I'm able to use it on Leopard and another OS 9 version (which this version lacks sound support).

I think the best solution for this is using an original restore DVD.

I'm not sure what disc image you used, but you just need to install the Airport software from the installer discs. It may not have been selected as part of your initial install, but its something you can add later.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
I just acquired a PowerBook G4 (Ti) 867MHz a few days ago, the computer itself is working fine with Tiger or Leopard.

I'm trying to get Mac OS 9.2.2 running on this computer, but didn't get any luck at all. I did some online search on this issue, it seems there's no retail CD of Mac OS 9.2.2 could ever boot on this computer. The only solution to get this computer running with Mac OS 9.2.2 is to use the system restore DVD came with the computer itself.

The compatible DVD version should be 691-4060 or 691-4316.
If you can get OS9 installed elsewhere, and then copy it over to the PowerBook, you can boot up from it that way. Not everything will work the way it's supposed to, but it will be perfectly usable. I did that originally on mine before I could get ahold of the DVD.

That said, the final TiBook models required a special version of OS9 that was only available on that restore disc for full functionality. When doing the bundled application restore from the DVD you also have an option to install that special version of Mac OS 9.2.2.

I've got that disc with my 1 GHz PowerBook. The number you're looking for is 691-4316-A. Looks like this:

TiBook%20DVD.jpg

You can find them on eBay occasionally if you keep an eye out. My PowerBook didn't come with its original software restore DVD, just the Apple Hardware Test CD, so I put an automatic search up and within a couple months one popped up and I bought it.

lungkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Thanks for everyone's help.

Status update:
I found a Mac OS 9 restore CD for iBook (with MAC OS ROM 9.3.1), and I did a little hack on the IncompatHW file, thus avoided the hardware compatibility check. I was able to install this special version of Mac OS 9 into my PowerBook G4. And turns out, the AirPort is fine, sound card support is fine, everything is fine, except the USB port -- only one USB port is working properly. Well it's not perfect, but at least I can boot and use Mac OS 9 on it now. :)

P.S.: I'm still looking for the original restore DVD, if someone is willing to sell it or share it with me, please let me know. :);)

Last edited:

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I might have what you are looking for... Give a me a few hours to check.. I usually keep restore/install discs for machines I own or have owned.. but I think I have the original TI PowerBook G4 discs.. In the meantime can I enlighten you with a retail OS 9 disc image if you don't mind? And all you have to do is install the 9.1, 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 patches.. I can also provide those for u too if need be.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Status update:
I found a Mac OS 9 restore CD for iBook G4 (with MAC OS ROM 9.3.1), and I did a little hack on the IncompatHW file, thus avoided the hardware compatibility check. I was able to install this special version of Mac OS 9 into my PowerBook G4. And turns out, the AirPort is fine, sound card support is fine, everything is fine, except the USB port -- only one USB port is working properly. Well it's not perfect, but at least I can boot and use Mac OS 9 on it now. :)

P.S.: I'm still looking for the original restore DVD, if someone is willing to sell it or share it with me, please let me know. :);)

Last edited:

lungkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I might have what you are looking for... Give a me a few hours to check.. I usually keep restore/install discs for machines I own or have owned.. but I think I have the original TI PowerBook G4 discs.. In the meantime can I enlighten you with a retail OS 9 disc image if you don't mind? And all you have to do is install the 9.1, 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 patches.. I can also provide those for u too if need be.

Retail Mac OS 9 are too old for this machine.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1835?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

lungkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Darn! Forgot that you couldn't support 9.0 retail. Do you really need OS 9 though? Why not Tiger or Leopard?

I have Leopard installed on it, just want to have a Mac that will able to boot Leopard and Mac OS 9 simultaneously (since there's no Classic support on Leopard).

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I had exactly the same situation.

I bought a G4 titanium on ebay which came with leopard on a small hard drive but I wanted dual booting leopard and mac os 9. It also came with other software I didn't want to lose.

So I did a time machine backup, hard drive replacement with a bigger drive, then with a mac os 9 disk, partitioned it into 2 big partitions and install mac os 9 on 1 partition, and with a leopard disk, reformat the other partition and did a complete restore on that partition from the backup. (Time machine is one of the best features of leopard!!!)

I can now dual boot leopard and mac os 9.

Sorry to bore you with these gory details, but rest assured that what you are trying to do can be done because I did it.

Last edited:

Carancha

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
In the spirit of this thread, I'd be very willing to purchase both install disks for the 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 12". If anyone's interested, please let me know.

MissingSanta

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
PowerBook Restore Disks

If you can get OS9 installed elsewhere, and then copy it over to the PowerBook, you can boot up from it that way. Not everything will work the way it's supposed to, but it will be perfectly usable. I did that originally on mine before I could get ahold of the DVD.

That said, the final TiBook models required a special version of OS9 that was only available on that restore disc for full functionality. When doing the bundled application restore from the DVD you also have an option to install that special version of Mac OS 9.2.2.

I've got that disc with my 1 GHz PowerBook. The number you're looking for is 691-4316-A. Looks like this:

You can find them on eBay occasionally if you keep an eye out. My PowerBook didn't come with its original software restore DVD, just the Apple Hardware Test CD, so I put an automatic search up and within a couple months one popped up and I bought it.

I was googling for the restore disks of this powerbook titanium. Is it possible you can share this disk image through dropbox or google drive? Thank you

MissingSanta

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I think Goldberg's point was that you are less likely to get a response from someone who posted years ago here.

The disk you want is around. You just need to search a little more.

MissingSanta

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2015
I think Goldberg's point was that you are less likely to get a response from someone who posted years ago here.

The disk you want is around. You just need to search a little more.

Well it was a long shot i know but before i posted, i did check that that his latest activity is somehow recent (March 2015).

I'll point out that all of those are for the Aluminum series PBs(none of which can officially run OS 9 natively) and also are all out of stock.

Yep Ive checked that before. These are all Aluminum. Anyways Ill install that OS9lives version tonight. Hopefully it will be better than the others which had sleep awking & Contexual menu freezes, along wth other crashes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.