Powerbook G4 TiBook battery quick drop in capacity

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by agentbob, Feb 19, 2005.

1. agentbob macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2004

I've had my 667mhz DVI Powerbook for about 2-3 years now and the battery suddenly starting giving me 15min of power instead of the 2h+ it was giving me.

Originally the battery used to last 3-4h with very light usage (just ssh, and web browsing) and it slowly went down to 1 1/2 - 2h battery time. Now all of a sudden there was no gradual drop but its straight down to 15min per 100% charge.

Running `ioreg -w0 -l | grep Capacity` on 10.3.8 gives me:
    "IOBatteryInfo" = ({
    Come to think of it... this might even have happened when I installed 10.3.8 :| Has anyone heard of this before and is this the normal way a battery dies? Also is there anything I can do about it short of buying a new battery?

Thanks in advance,

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Unfortunately, yes. I've had a number of laptop batteries die that way (all Mac.) I use a program called Xcharge, which shows a graph of the battery's charge. I've had a battery go from 60% to 0% instantly and the machine hibernates, or just shuts off completely :mad:

I'm not really sure what you can do other than buy a new one.
  3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    You mean if a battery dies you need to buy an entirely new PowerBook!?!?!? Or just the battery?
  4. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    No... You just gotta go to OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/batteries/) and get a new one. I havent ordered anything from there but from what ive herd its a safe place to shop.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    OWC has some incredible batteries for the Powerbooks from Newertech. I highly recommend the higher capacity batteries they sell, as I use one in my Powerbook and get almost 4 hours (1ghz Titanium). Their service and shipping are top-notch, too.