Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneclassybroad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
chicago
My Powerbook G4 only turns on if the battery charger is plugged in, and if I unplug it, the computer shuts off. On the menu bar, it says charging. I know the battery has to be full. This just started happening last night. Also, I just had the hard drive replaced and I've only had it back for a couple weeks. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Are you sure your battery isn't dead? It seems like its not...
And it seems like your computer is pretty new...
Only thing that does come to mind is that the connection of the battery might be loose or your battery is dead.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Try taking the battery out and cleaning the contacts on both the inside of the computer and the battery. You never know...

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Try this

Have a look to see if the battery is really charged. Even though the PowerBook can tell you this, there is a manual way to do it also. You can do this by pushing a little silver button on the battery. There are green lights that will light up to show the amount of charge in the battery. If the lights are all lit, call Apple and explain about the new hard drive install and the battery problem you are having.

If none light up - your battery is not being charged. Try a PMU reset and re- charge the battery.

PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz)
PMU reset sequence:

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
Press the Power button to restart the computer. Charge the battery and see it that rectifies the problem.

If that doesn't work, a call to Apple would be in order.

aussie_geek

DanielleInTulsa

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Have a look to see if the battery is really charged. Even though the PowerBook can tell you this, there is a manual way to do it also. You can do this by pushing a little silver button on the battery. There are green lights that will light up to show the amount of charge in the battery. If the lights are all lit, call Apple and explain about the new hard drive install and the battery problem you are having.

If none light up - your battery is not being charged. Try a PMU reset and re- charge the battery.

PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz)
PMU reset sequence:

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
Press the Power button to restart the computer. Charge the battery and see it that rectifies the problem.

If that doesn't work, a call to Apple would be in order.

aussie_geek

aussie_geek, thank you!

i was having the same problem with my new(er) macbook and your steps for the PMU reset worked!

esspee1200

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Bay Area
i am experiencing the same issue.

basically, my battery is 100% charged per the menu bar on the top right. but, when i unplug the ac adapter, the powerbook shuts off immediately.

i have a new 3rd party battery. it worked perfectly fine and then...baaam!!...now this.

i called apple care and they said that i might need a new battery. i don't believe what they are saying since this is brand new and it used to work like a charm until as of recent.

any help?

Kwalla73

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 15" menu 100% but no charge???

My PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" running 10.4.11 menu shows 100% but when I remove the adapter there is no power and it shuts off immediately. The battery doesn't show any evidence of charge when I press the battery charge status button. What gives? The leads connecting the battery to the computer appear clean. Has the battery kicked the bucket?

g3powerbook boy

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I just bought a g4 powerbook last night off of craigslist the person that had it said the battery is finished only thing wrong with it was the battery. today i found the same g4 powerbook battery on craigslist for $ 15.00 went and bought it brought it home and it didnt want to charge until i reset the pmu. my suggestion would be to try to reset your pmu as explained above.

good luck.

;)

Kwalla73

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
In all my tinkering, I found another problem. My pram battery is dead. I can tell because the t&d keep resetting to Wednesday, December 31, 1969. Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with the battery charge, but I saw a pram battery online for $49, so I'll give that a try first, then I'll get back and report my findings.

Thanks!

g3powerbook boy

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I'm not real sure that the g4 powerbooks have a pram battery like the g3s did. and if they do... it sure isnt under the keyboard like it wasin my g3 powerbook pismo which i still have as well as my new g4 titanium i bought last weekend. I think the time and date read off of its main battery which tells me it isnt charged, however i could be wrong but my g4 powerbook titanium reset the time and date until i changed the battery with a known good used one and it has not reset its time and date yet. I would try resetting the pmu as mentioned first before buying a part you may not need let alone have. maybe see if you can find a known good battery and see what it does as well.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.