PowerBook G4 VRAM: RIP ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Manuel Moreno, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Manuel Moreno macrumors member

Jun 13, 2003
    Lisbon, VRSA,...
    This is a screenshot from a powerbook g4 1.5Ghz at 256 color.The owner (my friend) is very upset, his machine turned that after one night of playing World of Warcraft. :confused:
    seems that the problem is with the video memory because the number of holes increases in order the bit depth.

how can this be? a computer that longevity is about 2.5 years?
    a replacement logic board for this computer is about $800 close to a new shinnny macbook...

Picture 1.jpg
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
  3. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    The screenshot is missing, but that must be annoying for it to have died.
  4. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2005
    San Francisco, Ca.
    $800 bucks for a logicboard... Man I bet he wishes he spent the 300 on Applecare.
  5. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2007
    San Francisco
    I see the shot. Sorry man. U can buy my powerbook if you want.
  6. bgordon macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2008
    $300 fix!

Guys - a little known fact here:

You can take that machine into any Apple Retail Store in the US and get a new logic board for $300.

The same thing happened to my 1Ghz G4 laptop last year, and I thought I'd have to buy a new computer. The guys at the Santa Monica Apple Store set me straight. Got my unit fixed and back for around $320 with tax.

Did the same thing a few months later with a buddy's G4 12" laptop at the Apple Store in SoHo in NYC.

Take it in. You'll see.

- bgordon

ps. This has nothing to do with AppleCare; indeed, my AC had expired a year before.
  7. metaztaziz macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2008
    VRAM Errors

I have the same kind of graphical problems with my PowerBook G4 Alluminium 1.33 Ghz. Ran the Hardware Test and found a VRAM error: 2ati/1/4 113-xxxxx-1134.

Is it posible to change the VRAM or the Graphic Card alone? or this means that the motherboard has to be replace?

Thanks. Alejandro.
  8. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    Considering the VRAM and the GPU are solders, no you can't just replace it.

This might also be a heat issue; I was pushing my card and it did this. After it cooled down it went back to normal.