PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xgsrpg, Jul 4, 2004.

1. xgsrpg macrumors member

Hi,
    I am thinking about purchasing a 15" or 17" PowerBook G4. I plan on playing games on them. However, looking at system requirements for games, they seem to be rather higher than Windows. For example, the beta Word of Warcraft needs a 1 GHz G4, which is close to the 1.5GHz G4 in the PB. I know the PB with 128MB of VRAM will play all current games, but how long will it last? Am I better off waiting for a G5 PowerBook? Also, I see that World of Warcraft (just a randomly picked game) needs 10.3 Panther. Do you think after Tiger is released, games will require Tiger? I would like the notebook to last at least a year, preferrably without needing to upgrade to Tiger (I might upgrade, but I want games and software to still work anyway just in case). Thanks

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

1. You are not better off waiting for a G5 Powerbook - it is likely 12 months away.
    2. Panther wasn't just released - give game makers 6-8 months after Tiger is released before they require it. (Release of Tiger is not due for at minimum another 6 months.
    3. A new Powerbook will last you 4+ years will excellent performance. You will never be forced to upgrade to Tiger - the apps you are worried about not working with Panther aren't even made yet. You are *way* too ahead of yourself.

Buy now!!

3. xgsrpg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help! I plan to purchase my new PowerBook within a couple days. I can't wait!