PowerBook G5 and the Intel Talk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HasanDaddy, Jun 4, 2005.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

So if Apple really were to switch to Intel, where does that leave the PowerBook G5

considering that all the apps would have to be re-coded for Intel, I would imagine that we wouldn't be seeing any 'Centrino' PowerBooks for a while

Would IBM even bother to put a G5 into PB's, if that's the case?

Any thoughts?

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the intel rumor is BS, the powerbook G5 will come when the 970GX is available.

3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I don't think the Intel rumor is BS. It may or may not happen. There are plenty of good reasons why Apple would consider Intel. Unlike many people here (apparently), I really like Intel chips. The only thing holding me back is that its an x86 structure instead of the PowerPC structure that I currently think is the best design. Who knows though, Intel might have a whole new chipset in the works for Apple.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

what exactly are the advantages of x86 worth apple makeing such a huge compatibility rift?

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Well it's probably not going to be a full out switch to x86 hardware. The most plausible idea is that Intel will make some propietary form of the PowerPC chip for Apple so Jobs can finally get his long awaited 3 GHz dual G5.

It's not like with this, you'd be able to run MacOS X on any frankenstein cheapo PC you picked up at CompUSA...

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

That's what I was getting at. There is no way (in my mind) that Apple would switch to x86, not since Steve has talked so badly about them in the past. I think it would be way more likely Intel would release a PowerPC or even some brand new chipset for Apple before they would start using x86 in their machines. And you're right, there is no way Apple will change their software so that OS X can run on a regular PC.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...please people...can we not keep all the Intel will they/won't they/why should they/why shouldn't they etc etc all in the existing thread(s)...it is getting rather redundant.....oh yeah!

8. liquidtrance123 macrumors member

My prediction is they're going with Intel Chipsets so they can use PCI_E and DDR2 to keep up with the G5's FSB bandwidth.

but who knows.

9. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i think that everyone needs to chill out and just see what stevey says on mon at WWDC.

i think that if there is a change that it will be announced monday and then we can all banter on the subject

like duff man said, there have been countless threads on this subject

SEARCH IT PEOPLE!

10. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

This seems most plausible... though I don't like the idea. First we thought Motorolla had the stuff to compete (obviously not)... then we thought IBM had the resources (I'm starting to think not)... maybe Intel (I hope not but it may come down to it)?

These would be more than welcome... Always being one to root for the underdog, I think it would be more fitting to work with AMD... but then again they may not have the resources/motivation to really help Apple.

Didn't AMD make some RISC based chips for use in Laser Printers back in the day?

11. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

i dont know...maybe i'm idiot for saying this...but why intel??? why not AMD??? most people who have pc's on this forum use AMD...am I wrong...this is all heresay about the intel switch...but say it was going to happen...that question arises to me...

12. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

PC User here (will be a powerbook purchaser before week's end). I've had 3 Intel pc's and 3 AMD PC's over the years, this Intel 2.0A (overclocked to 2.67ghz) has been working perfectly for the past 3 years. 2 of my AMD's had problems after a year or so (only the 486-equiv worked well). Intel has much more capabities than AMD does (look at their chipsets).