Powerbook G5 - Coming up next year

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iphong, Sep 20, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Looks pretty cool...but I can see it getting broken very easily! :eek:

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

3. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

PowerBook VI - The Wrath of Steve

It could be a mispent youth, but something about the lower image screams engine nacelle on the U.S.S Reliant.

I canna' hold her captain! She's going to warp the harddrive! :rolleyes:

4. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think there is one key design element missing from this model that will set it further apart from the already voluminous laptop market .... and that's Apple's Patented Waffle Toasting Panel, entirely powered by the heat dispered from an under-ventilated G5 chip.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

The drive slot on the side doesn't look as nice as the actual PB's (15" & 17") ... Let's see first the Dual Core G4 in January ;)

6. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

The new Apple Display isn't easy to broken. the joint is the same matterial

7. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I don't really see the need for the extra joint in there. Why can't you just do it normaly?

8. dross macrumors regular

dross

This is Apple. They never do it normaly!!

9. brap macrumors 68000

This isn't Apple, though. Still, for a 'concept' it is pretty damn original; I wouldn't mind it sitting on my desk.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

In every good design, every joint and part has to serve a purpose. A tiltable screen......fancy, but serves no purpose. I have no problem with the way Apple handles the monitor. Actually, its (much) better than other laptop companies already, if you haven't noticed. ;)

How about something practical and different?

11. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Maybe it's designed so that you tilt it far enough to write on it. Like a note pad, or clip board. Hmmm.

12. tomato macrumors newbie

Writeable tablet?

Mmm serious issues with that hinge... the stresses involved if you try to close it 'the wrong way' don't bear thinking about....

BUT

if that hinge was located halfway up the back of the screen, you would be able to open the screen up, push the top back, and fold the whole thing down again so that the computer is closed again, but with the LCD screen facing upwards. (sorry if this isn't very clear)

So you'd be able to rest the computer on your lap (or on the desktop or hold it in one arm) and write on it.

Useful if you know you wont need the keyboard for a while. (if you want to watch DVD/TV on it or use it as a picture frame, you could put it on a stand or just hang it on the wall :) - no visible keyboard to spoil your view.

Pretty cool. If it worked ;-P

+tomato+

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Two words:

TABLET COMPUTER

Look at how it swivels. It can fold down to close the system or fold back further to lay flat against the keyboard. :D

Hey one can hope can't he? :p

At this point I don't care if its 1.5 inches thick and is using the Pismo case for the dang thing. I want my G5!

14. Sogo macrumors 6502

Looks mighty cool! But if it does come out next year, it will probably be near the end.

15. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

If you examine the geometry, it looks like the display could fold back as described, covering the keyboard but not the trackpad. It even looks like the 'screen' portion has a cutout to allow access to the trackpad. It might be handy to have the trackpad available even if the keyboard is covered, but why would you need this if it has a touchscreen?

16. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

While I'm sure Apple will come out with something completely different than all of these concepts, it's fun to see all the crazy stuff people imagine they could do :)

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I do like it but two things are bothering me.

1) The screen; doesn't seem to "laptopish". Could easily break, as someone stated.

2) On the profile view; I don't know abou that bump coming down. I think a laptop's bottom should be flat, especially when it goes on your lap.

Nice concept, but I don't think its "Apple" all that much, course that's just me :D