PowerBook G5 / G4 Dual Core?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hcuar, Sep 27, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

For all the people posting and speculating about the upcoming PowerBooks, I have a recommendation.

Buy it now!!!!

Quit waiting, buy it now. Sure the next generation is always going to be faster with more features. However, if you get it now... You can enjoy it for a long long time until the next version starts shipping.

If you are a PeeCee owner, expecially don't hestitate. Make the switch and don't look back.

I get tired of people lamenting if they should buy the current version or wait. Buy it, use it, and most importantly enjoy it. Oh, btw, get over the buyers remorse silliness.

That is all. :cool:

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I needed this reminder. Thanks. I think that I am about to order a fifteen :D

3. JLS macrumors 6502

Well if Apple updated thier crappy 12" PB gfx card choice then I would have bought one a while ago.

Advising people not to wait, especially when its likely there will be an update any time in the next month is madness. If your spending +£1000 on a laptop you at least deserve the knowledge that it will be decent for a few months when it comes to being top of the line, and also that it will actually run the programs of next year too. Paying over the odds for poor spec hardware would mean your friends laugh at you if you had bought a windows laptop, so why do apple users accept the profit making apple decisions to fix X year old gfx chips into the POWERbook? Who knows...

I smell a share owner!

4. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Nope... Not at all... I'm just tired of the should I buy now or wait questions. If you need to ask, just buy one and get it over with. :rolleyes:

BTW: The gfx card is not crappy. It's better than most of the Wintel integrated graphics crap.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I completely disagree. Making the right buying choices as a consumer is the smartest thing to do. If you don't NEED a computer RIGHT AWAY you should wait for the next revision.

If I were buying a powerbook, i would wait. The next revision will be VERY NOTEWORTHY. We're talking major possibilities of DDR400 and a 200MHz FSB. Speeds of 1.6 and 1.8GHz have been confirmed as well as a radeon 9800 mobility in the 15 and 17 inch models. (If you don't know, the Radeon 9800 mobility is like the 9800 to the X800 PRO, there is a HUGE gap in performance.)

To all powerbook buyers, if you can wait for another 1-2 months, do it, or you may be facing some mucho buyers remorse after the new ones come out.

It's your choice...

6. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Nothing has been "confirmed". Only rumors and speculation so far. I would like to see the above mentioned specs in a PB, but until Apple does a press release or announcement, everything is up in the air.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I just read another thread in this sight that said that the new processors that would scale up to 1.8 ghz (7448? possible that this number is off a little, my mind is very fatigued) would not be out until the first half of next year. That is a broad range of time and a long time to wait. I can wait until the holiday season, but by next semester I must have a new powerbook. I don't mind waiting either, although patience is not one of my virtues. What makes you guys so certain that we are about to see powerbook updates? I am not trying to be rude, so please don't be offended....I am just wondering why you guys are so sure. The only things that I have seen have come from sites of dubious quality. :confused:

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

9. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Exactly! Why wait? If you need/want a PB, don't wait! Apple has already said no G5's in the near future. So... Get the G4 PB and make fun of all the poor PeeCee users. Or at least show them how sweet your new PB is.

I had another faithful PeeCee user decide to buy a refurb G4 15" PB after hearing about my PB and another guys iMac. Seriously, just get it.

10. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Yeah, people get all worked up. It's crazy. They check all the latest builds of OS X trying to speculate what's up Apple's sleeves. I just sit back and laugh when they are 100 percent wrong. I'm not even sure Apple knows what's going to happen in January. People were soooo disappointed with the rev C's. Settle down and enjoy the now.

11. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

All I'm saying is that telling people to buy, buy, buy is not necessarily the best choice for everyone. Let people make up their minds instead of telling them what to think.

Rumors and inside information are there to give people information to make better buying decisions, and you must admit, MANY are not speculation, they do turn out to be true.

12. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

True... Everyone can make up their own minds. However, I was making the point to STOP posting the stinkin... "So, does anyone know when the G5 Powerbook will be out?" threads. If you want a PB that badly, go buy one. You won't be sorry.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You know the point of the thread was to say the pbook G5 is most likely coming in January. The 7448 is being sampled in '05. Probably won't ship intill mid-late '05. Most likely going in the ibook.

14. JLS macrumors 6502

Better than most intergrated windows based laptops? uhhh.. Better than the gfx cards in laptops with a value of over £300.. no.

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

One more year. Then I'll have enough, and then maybe we'll have a G5 powerbook.

16. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Not too sure about that 9800. From what I understand, it is really for desktop replacements. I havent seen it in anything comparable to a PB's size as of yet either. But we can hope. That sure would be nice.

17. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I concur. I don't buy the 9800 thing in a PB. Although, Apple has surprise me several times.

18. pckilla macrumors member

If you buy now you definetly will enjoy it!!!i was having trouble deciding to buy one or wait but had to have it for school...and dang this thing is sweet!!! ;)

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This what I have been saying all along. The 9800 is humongous and uses a ****load of power. I don't think we'll see this in a powerbook any time soon. But then again I thought Gore had more votes and won the election. :D

Edit: spelling

20. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

well, barring any intervention from the supreme court i think you are right :D

21. Zaty macrumors 65816

Now the question is how much they can squeeze out of the MPC 7447A. 100 MHz, 200 MHz or even 300 MHz? I think we would have to be very lucky to see 1.8 GHz in the next revision. My bet is that top-end 15" and the 17" will get a 1.67 GHz G4. (The 12" and the low-end 15" inheriting the 1.5 G4)