Powerbook G5? possible reasons why

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Raidersmojo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

ok don't tear my head off and say this "won't happen" I thought here could be some reasons suggesting a G5 powerbook

1. why would apple wait to paris to release a powerbook with a 30mhz increase? even if it had dual layer burners and HD screens with better resolution that wouldn't warrant a special event.

2. if the rumors are true and there are "G5 Mac Minis" why would they not put one in a powerbook? and don't say "they will over heat, thermal problems" remember the chip they have going in the G5 mini is a low power G5 chip.

3. they have had this chip for months and have had time to put it into a powerbook inclosure

4. steve jobs said he couldn't deliver a powerbook G5 "Yet"

5. 1.7 Ghz G4 would be a waste of money and an upgrade. unless you stuck G5 next to it, it wouldn't look like a big upgrade. you could go "yeah but I have a G4 1.67 or I have a G5 1.7 Ghz PB"

6. the chips used in PBs will not be coming out till 2007, which will warrant time for a G5 powerbook, also when the chips come out they won't change the names of the lines because of the chip. they will remain "G5s" but with intel chips.

7. I doubt at MWSF 06 they just release new ibooks, new powerbooks, new macminis all with intel chips. remember jobs said this was going to take "two years" if not longer.

8. if it was a minor upgrade they would of released it already

those are just my reasons, I'm buying a powerbook at the end of this month upgrades or not. I don't care if its a G4, G5, G100349509. I just sat around thinking there is no way apple would upgrade to DDR 2 ram, dual layer drives, bigger cache, possible faster HD. BUT only up the clock speed 30 mhz.

I don't know to me it doesn't make any sense. I'm probably wrong though, either way I'm getting a PB and going to love it for college

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If Apple could deliver a G5 in a powerbook form factor, why would they have abandoned IBM? That and Apple and Freescale just (supposedly) struck a deal.. why? For G4s in laptops and other small form factors. http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0508freescale.html

G5 Powerbook, not happening.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look's more likely that Apple will put out one more major redesigned G4 motherboard with a new chipset (Intrepid2).

No telling what it'll be -- RIO FSB or 200MHz DDR.

Though it's more likely Apple would stick with the DDR interface instead.

This will stick around for awhile to be the legacy G4 machine (some are familiar with the last one.)

4. Bear macrumors G3

A G5 at about the same clock speed as a G4 will not be much of an improvement. Yes a G5 PowerBoook would have a faster memory bus and could allow more than 2GB of memory in it.

However, how many people are going to put that much memory in a PowerBook?

A major redisgn for one or 2 more product cycles would be a waste of Apple's resources. An updated G4 PowerBook makes more sense.

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Remember,a ccording to Jobs, the move to intel is not about the current technology, but future roadmaps.

6. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

bear it wouldn't be a major "redesign" since they have had the chip for awhile. plus they already dumped massive amounts of money into the G5, they won't stall out if they can deliver

they have had the design for awhile completed they just need the chip

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah.. in a 2 year timeframe that will "fully" move Apple into Intel processors. It might be a roadmap, but it's a short trip. Again, if the G5 was viable for the Powerbook, IBM would have told Apple they could do it. The problems with the G5 are the same as before, "lower powered" or not. Heat & power consumption, unless your PowerBook is made of dry ice..

Anyway, it's STILL not happening..

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I guess we can all hope for one, but there are so many doubts in this situation.

The PowerBooks are in desperate need of an update, seriously. I don't think Apple should update them with a puny 30MHz, I mean, for the price your paying, you should ATLEAST be able to get a G5 2GHz... but that is just how I feel -- even though I know that will never happen.

I feel sorry for all those who bought there PowerBook G4s for 2000+ dollars, and couldn't even get a 2GHz proccesor. :(

But, with all this, this doesn't mean that I don't think the Powerbooks aren't great computers... I think they are the best on the market!! --- I just feel Apple can/should do more.... FAST ---

My $.02 ;)

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

He was looking for something along these lines...

Not this:
    :rolleyes:

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

2) G5 mini rumors are worse than G5 PB rumors. there is no way apple would release a $500 G5 and NOT have already put it in the top of the line laptop. also the 30-days free mini deal that lasts until oct 31 makes me believe that the minis will not have any upgrade during that time.

6) i actually think the PBs will be one of the first to recieve the new intel chips in 2006. intel already has low powered dual core chips slated for release in early 06 so i think apple probably signed a deal to get the first batch or a very early batch to stick in new PBs. i think for sure the powerbooks have been the most anticipated upgrades so SURELY apple will release them first. thats how apple usually works, the trickle down effect. first the powermacs get the good upgrade, then powerbook, then imac, then ibook then mini. it just makes sense.

11. Kevin Nelson macrumors newbie

Why...

Why wouldn't anyone believe that the first Intel Chip Mac would be a powerbook?
    I understand that the software already exists and is well proven and Steve could have his day with the fastest noetbook on the planet. If we can not have a G5 powerbook, why not just go ahead with an "M" Class Powerbook with better battery life or whatever? If Rosetta works as well as reported and with all the success people have with the OSX port already, I would think the most logical choice to capture atttention would be the notebook market as most applications the desktop users would need would be months in development yet. I guess I for one am using my laptop for portability and would jump at the chance to switch to Intel if we will not get a G5 flavor.
    My $.02 (I think my 867 ALbook just gave me the finger!)

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Macs are always in desperate need of an update. You could say that about any model at any time. Even after an update! :rolleyes:

I'm happy with every "$.02" I spent on this baby. The processor is plenty fast, in my opinion. That being said, 30Mhz wouldn't be much, but I think it would be acceptable until Intel PowerBooks, if those other goodies are included.

PowerBook G5 is, and will remain, the greatest rumor that never happened.

13. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

Right now, I am typing on my iMac G5 and the temp is reading 160F. I would have to believe that is a little too hot for a laptop (but i am not an expert at that). I am on board the fact that a G5 Powerbook will never happen.

14. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

"Right now, I am typing on my iMac G5 and the temp is reading 160F. I would have to believe that is a little too hot for a laptop (but i am not an expert at that). I am on board the fact that a G5 Powerbook will never happen."

why can't people understand this? the G5 chip is a lower power chip! it doesn't get as hot as the normal G5 found in your imac

15. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

There is no way there is going to be a G5 Powerbook. It would be a total waste of engineering, noth time and money wise. It's not happening - jsut look forward to the Intel Mac, if you don't want a G4. Personally, I loved mine, so I don't understand all the hype about GHz as it really doesn't matter for a lot of things. I understand that it's a phycological thing, it may matter for high end designers, but not for the everyday users.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you think that's "tearing someone's head off", then you need to grow a set.

17. visualanté macrumors member

when i read comments about G5 could never happen because of impossibleness its funny....you were probably the same ones to say G4 could never happen....it can, however i believe they will use freescale because i believe battery life is bigger concern and they have that contract....although if a g5 were used it b a 1year production run which is short run for a processor structure.....they just need a brighter/more vivid hd lcd and better vid cards with 7200 rpm hd......

18. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

The G4 wasn't so hot they had to design a liquid cooling system for the high end models. Could it happen. Probably if they came up with a whole new design and did a lot of work to get the coolest G5. Will it happen: No, because of the Intel Laptops looming.

19. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Probably because IBM told them they'd have a G5 power book a year and a half ago :), With intel they'd have a good solid powerful Pentium-M notebook today and when they actually do move they will the chips they are promised (well hopefully).

(and yes i know that was a rhetorical question :D)