PowerBook G5 within a year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheT, Jul 5, 2004.

1. TheT macrumors 6502

I know there have already been a lot of discussions on this, but I'd really like to have some more opinions on my situation...
    The thing is that I'll be working at a local Apple Retailer for a year starting in August. Most likely, I will get Apple products cheaper once I've been working there for a couple of months. I want to get a PowerBook sometime soon, but really don't know when.
    I expect the next revision of G4 Powerbooks in September; I know that those ones won't be G5s. The thing is, will the next revision be G5?

Pro: Tiger, announced for H1 2005... will the 64bit part really only be able to run on the G5 desktop, the iMac and maybe the eMac?

Contra: Supply. You see they really messed up with the iMacs... but I'm not sure if it'ss be better in one year or not.
    And of course: Heat. This water cooling / heatsink really makes me wonder how they want to put that beast in a notebook.

There's always the possibility of another 64bit mobile processor... but please tell me, should I buy the next revision or wait? Will there be two more G4 revisions? Or would Apple wait really long before they update the Powerbooks again, like they did with the G5 desktops?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

powerbook revision has historically lasted for 9 months, the last revision being in april/2004 so one could assume that there is no new powerbooks in september/2004 but rather in around january/2005.

one could easily assume new powerbooks and new operating system would be announced at the same time, both being 64bit ;)

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i think they'll announce new powerbooks and imacs in september once all the educational orders have been shipped, but they probably won't start shipping till at least october

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

don't you think that is too optimistic? :) granted, last year the powerbooks were released in september, but remember that in 2002 the release was in november... so there's no magic about the september. however, nine months would be quite a good educated guess about the revision cycle and that's why i think january next year.

i wouldn't wait for it this year.

5. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

My thoughts are that the next revision of the PowerBooks are going to be G5's. This will not happen this year.

I think that the PB's will go G5 in January.

Good luck with the new job,
    JOD8FY

6. Ari_0 macrumors regular

meh..

By the time i save up enough dough to buy a Powerbook, G5 Powerbooks will most definately be out. I mean I have owned three PCs, one of which I assembled manually. Sadly that one passed away due to outburst of anger whilst holding a baseball bat (It was a shuttle, it deserved it). I just sold my Fire breathing, inadequate Vaio Laptop to pay off the last of my Student bills. Now its time to make some money so I can grab a 12" PB by january :)

7. Zaty macrumors 65816

There are two possible scnearios:

1. No more G4 PBs, G5s announced at MWSF in January '05
    2. Rev. D Alubooks G4 in October/November, G5s announced at WWDC '05.

Currently, #2 seems more realistic to me.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The current G4 powerbooks are really really fast. Yes, a G5 might be a bit faster - but if you *need* something now - you won't be selling yourself short. Get a 1.5Ghz with maxed out RAM and you'll be set for years!

9. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

You are all very optimistic that there will be G5 PowerBooks at the latest when the WWDC '05 kicks off... I'm not even sure about that.

But I guess if there's a revision this year, I'll buy it... WWDC '05 seems so far away. I don't really need a laptop now, but I saved my money for years and my 1999 G3 iMac is really getting slooow.
    Maybe it'll be MWSF... but I'm positive that this will be not the event they will start to sell Tiger. Remember, they said first half of 2005; we all know Apple, it'll not be January.

10. Koree macrumors 6502

11. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Same here. Even a 1.5 G4 PowerBook 12" would keep me happy for the new year. Although, 2005 should really have a G5 :D