Powerbook G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Walfredo, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Walfredo macrumors newbie

    Jul 13, 2004
    n00b and 1st post :D .....here goes

    So I am coming from the darkside because I am fed up with all the crap you have to put up with esp. spyware, virii, etc.:mad: , and I am interested in a Mac...a powerbook to be specific. My question is does anyone have an ETA for powerbook G5? I know that the powerbook product cycle is like 180 days or so, but I am not sure if Apple is even thinking about G5 in a powerbook due to power consumption, form factor, etc. Should I hold out or get the G4? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    please read around MR. this question has been asked over and over and over, again and again and again. the answer is, no one knows but it's probably gonna be a while. there are many different takes on exactly how long "a while" is, but i personally think definitely not within this year.
  3. quagmire macrumors 603


    Apr 19, 2004
    I would get the G4. Even though alot of us expect the G5 Powerbook in January apple has a history of a bad rev a product. But, seem to break it with the Powermac G5 rev a. The G4 will serve you well and be better for you.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Macrumors has a few readers who've had problems with rev a products.
    Macrumors has a few readers who've had problems with rev b products.
    Macrumors has a few readers who've had problems with rev c products.

    As the owner of 5 fully operational rev a products, my personal experience with problems with rev a products has been zero.

    Fully functioning Titanium powerbook
    Fully functioning rev a iMac
    Fully functioning rev a iBook
    Two fully functioning cubes.

    I'm just one person, though. Look around and make your own decision.
  5. reaper macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    I would suggest getting one of the rev c G4s. I just got mine and it is a great machine. Any "issues" have been worked out and it is just a fantastic, great looking machine.

    No one knows what the future will hold for the next generation pb. Maybe it will be a larger form factor to accomodate the higher heat with the G5, maybe it will actually be a G4 with an increased speed (freescale). NO ONE KNOWS. If you want a laptop get a rev c and be happy. If you want to wait, just be sure that you know the future is uncertain.

    - reaper
  6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    if i were in the market, i would actually just get a rev. a desktop G5 dual 1.8. you should be able to use your pc monitor. and they will definitely be cheaper then a powerbook G5. by the time the pb G5 is released, you'll have already gotten a lot of work out of your desktop, and by then be happy with what you already have. plus, it may already be faster or at the same speed, then the first rev powerbook G5:D
  7. Florida Gator macrumors regular

    Feb 26, 2004
    if apple could just bump the current PB's bus speeds to around 400mhz and improve the AE reception I'd be in. Instead, Im waiting for the next major revision.
  8. goodwill macrumors regular

    Jan 8, 2004

    this question really amazes me. i cant help but agree with jxyama. considering your a newbie its fair, but instead of answering this question, check out the sites FAQ and make the most of searching the forums. everyone here loves to help another out, but the forum search on this topic will give you probably over 1500 responses to this particular subject.

Share This Page