Powerbook g5's

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by DavidCL23, Jan 11, 2002.

?

When can I expect g5 powerbooks?

1. 6 months

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. 8 months

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. 1 year

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. NEVER, lol

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I heard from a reliable source that apple will post a new powerbook with a 733mhz g4 within the next month, and release a g5 powerbook in 8 months, does this sound corrrect, b/c I am holding back my purchase of a powerbook b/c of this rumor, what do you guys think?

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i really think we will see dual-g4 powerbooks before a g5 powerbook. no processor is ever designed for a laptop even concurrently with its design for towers. it will come, but probably further than a year down the road and along with yet another revolutionary design.

3. GPTurismo macrumors 6502

If you constantly hold back for the newest and greatest thing, you'll never get anything. ;)

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

very true....but....

if u sometimes hold out just long enough....u will get more than u bargain for! :D

5. kidtronix macrumors regular

i'd guess new pb's in tokyo. 700 and 800. which makes your friends speculations reasonable. man a G5 pb would be nice :)

6. MattB macrumors member

Fashion Island Apple Store out of 550's...

I was in the Fashion Island Apple Store this past weekend and the salesman said that he was completely out of 550's but had received several shipments of 667's. Sounds like the 667 will be the new bottom-of-the-line PowerBook with the 733 stepping in as the top-of-the-line.

7. samy85114 macrumors regular

We're not going to see dual PowerBook G5. How could they put 2 processor in 1 inch thin, around Hd, combo drive. Even right now when I work on a PB, i,m so surprised by his thinness, i wonder how they could actually put all the different parts in it. It's pretty fantastic... and now you're talking about inserting another processor, with the powerbook they have right now, it,S virtually impossible to do it. I've already seen inside of them, and there,s no more place! it,S full.

if they want to, they will have to change a little bit the "inside architecture". And finally have to improve some of the part in it, such as the HD, if they could make a smaller one... well you know waht I mean.

To conclude, I'm pretty sure Apple will release new Tower( introducing G5) before upgrading the portable department.

8. spikey macrumors 6502a

Hate to say this, but has unlikely as it is has any1 considered that possibly the G5 might be a **** CPU?

I doubt it myself, but maybe instead of saying how good a G5 in a powerbook would be why dont we wiat to see how good the G5 actually is? :rolleyes:

9. tw9876z macrumors member

they will hold off on the pb g5 for a while, tibook is still to good to drop. im also saying this because i got one about 3 months ago and dont want to feel like i wasted any money...... ...

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

If the Powerbook G4 took this long to come out I think it will be more then a year before a PB G5 comes out.

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Good point...

...but if any of the rumors we've heard about are true, it's going to rock. 64 bit has been confirmed by Motorola's PPC roadmap, 1Ghz+ rumored from several sources (The Register and MOSR, most prominently), and a 64bit 1Ghz+ chip with Altivec is going to be good. The Itanium is a 64bit 800Mhz proc without Altivec and it beats the P4, AthlonXP, and G4 by quite a bit.

Okay..so how long after the powermac G4 came out did the powerbook g4 come out? does anyone remember? do they announce the items and then it takes them awhile to have them up for purchasing? how long is this wait?

can we clean these reports up a bit and have a consenseus on when the G5's are comming out...both the desktop and portable versions? is apples history on putting out new products, such as these, pretty consistant and predictable? if its not then why are we try to predict when they are comming out..or are we? im just trying to find the sun here...if you know what i mean.

13. spikey macrumors 6502a

Thats what worries me catfishman, the rumors are coming from MOSR and theregister. MOSR arent really the most reliable source of info, and the register just copies sites like MOSR. For all we know, the rumors could be coming from a pre-pubescent wankface thats jacking off all over us.

Still, its the only thing to go by, so its best to take it in with a pinch of salt.

My prediction:
    G5 at NY.
    G5 powerbook at seybold 2003 (possibly later).

14. networkman macrumors regular

re: g5 powerbook

that is a long time to wait for the next gen powerbook but you are probably right ...unfortunately

15. spikey macrumors 6502a

jef:

Yeah it is a long wait.

But now the question arrises. The Tibook is undoubtedly the best laptop in the world, by a long way. It has a good looking future with the G4 apollo. So if it is the best laptop out there by a hell of a long way, do we really need one thats even better?? In my opinion the Tibook is far enough ahead of the opposition for the G5 powerbook not to matter.

And what exactly would you use a G5 powerbook for , what would you do with it that you couldnt do with a G4Tibook?

16. networkman macrumors regular

i am just scared that some high end pc consumers will be "safe" and stay with their 1+ ghz p3 laptops and not buy what they think would be a "slower" sub 1 ghz apple laptop

the 667 mhz of a g4 laptop is better than a 1+ ghz p3, but we only seem to know that and the average pro consumer has no idea

17. spikey macrumors 6502a

I dont think speed is the issue with laptop consumers.

the primary things a laptop user looks for are:

Decent speed.
    Useablility.
    Portability.
    Features (DVDR, etc)
    and most importantly style.

The Tibook has decent speed, even if you look at it by its clock speed it looks fast enough.
    OSX is a great usable OS, funky, stylish and what people want.
    It is light, thin and portable.
    It has great features, combo drives etc..
    And when it comes to style, this thing should be in the tate modern. It is the greatest laptop design ever.

The reason why people dont buy it is really because it isnt advertised enough, it isnt in enough shops like dixons, currys, etc (consumer shops). Not enough people get to see it.

18. networkman macrumors regular

i rarely see a g4 tibook ad

either laptop magazine or mobile computing magazine did call it the best design of the year which is very observant of them being that they cater to pc laptops almost all of the time

19. spikey macrumors 6502a

I hardly see a mac ad at all. Does apple have a marketing department?

20. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The PowerBook G4 came out on January 9, 2001. The original Yikes! PowerMac G4 came out on August 31, 1999.

You're new to Jobs' keynotes, aren't you. :D

The general rumor seems to be that G5's will make their debut in Tokyo, this March; or possibly July, leaving one more update to the G4. Given the time it took between the G4 PowerMac and PowerBook, you'll probably be waiting another year and a half, at the very least. The PowerBook G4 is still relatively new.

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I don't expect to see a G5 PowerBook for at least a year or two. The TiBook has a good amount of room to grow. I can see Apple continuing to use the G4 chip in the laptop as well as the new iMac. Especially when they come out with the G5 (soon I hope).

I, for one, hope that the G5 PowerBook is at least 1-1/2 to 2 years off. Next time, I will wait until the first revision, unlike last time I picked up my laptop. I ordered my TiBook (500MHz) as soon as I could. Don't get me wrong, I love using it, I just wish I had waited until at least the first update came out. Most likely, I will end up either selling my current TiBook, or give it to family.

22. OKComputer macrumors 6502

G5 powerbooks? a bit over-zealous

To put a G5 into a powerbook would mean re-designing a chip that has just been released to factor in heat and power drain. Dont look for the G5 in a powerbook any time soon. My guess is 733 and 867 PBG4 coming soon to a desk near you ;-) which is just fine with me

23. Ossa macrumors newbie

Re: G5 powerbooks? a bit over-zealous

If its to be believed that the G5 will share a similar architecture to Motorolas PC8540 then you never know we might just be surprised to find a G5 Powerbook around the corner! I for one adore the G4Tibook but I'm holding off a purchase until some definitive processor updates are announced.

With regard to the PC8540 according to motorolas website "Its high level of integration means simplified board design, lower power consumption and a faster time-to-market solution for customers" the estimated power consumption is an estimated 6.5w drawn from a supply of 1.5v Forgive me if I'm wrong but the PC7450s power consumption is 14w drawn from a supply of 1.8v this leads to the conclusion (a rather optimistic one) that due to its decreased power consumption, when compared to the G4, that in the very near future G5 implementation into a powerbook might not be all that un-feasible?

Sure! I understand that whenever a new processor has been released we've had to wait for ages until it appeared in a powerbook, but could this break that pattern? What do you think? :confused: