PowerBook goes to sleep by itself

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikko2004, Oct 7, 2004.

1. mikko2004 macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2004
    I have a 3-month old 12-inch PowerBook that has a power management or sleep timer problems. It goes to sleep by itself!

When I wake the PB from sleep and start using it, it usually goes to sleep within one minute. The sleep timer is set to 15 minutes, and this happens at least when the PB is connected to the mains. So that excludes some obvious causes.

The only pattern I have been able to detect is that this happens only when the PB has been used by another user. Here's the pattern
    -user A uses the PB
    -user A stops using the PB, and simply closes the lid (i.e., does not log off)
    -user B open the lid, enters his username and password
    -the PB wakes up
    -despite user B typing all the time, within about one minute the PB goes to sleep
    -user B wakes the PB up by pressing the power button
    -user B is able to use the PB without repeated "auto-sleeps"

Apple Tech Support told me to reset the Power Management Unit but that did not help.

Does anybody have an idea what to do?

- Mikko
  2. peterparsley macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2004
    Do you have a ethernet cable plugged in when these unexpected sleeps happen? I had some seemingly for-no-reason sleeps on my PB that happened when I slightly moved the attached ethernet cable. It also happened sometimes when pressing buttons on the keyboard that were close to the ethernet port (on the far right hand side, that is).

There is some information regarding sleep issues at the Apple support discussion forums ( http://discussions.info.apple.com/powerbook/ ).

Good luck with locating the problem!

3. mikko2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks, PP, for your time.

I use Airport to connect to the network, no cables. The only cable is the power cable.

I had a look at the discussions you indicated but was not able to find a single clear solution to my problem. Just a list of guesses. At least I know that I am not alone with my problem, although others seem to have different variants of it.

- Mikko