Powerbook Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jorginson, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Jorginson macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2005
    I am about to purchase an upgraded 15 inch Powerbook. This will be my first time owning an Apple computer, and I had a question about the hard drives.

There are 100 GB hdd's that run at 7200 rpm and 120 gb models running at 5400. If I were to purchase the 120 GB model would I experience a noticeable decrease in load times and seek times? Which one should I get?
  2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
  3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Yes, there is a noticable difference. However if you are planning on getting a reasonable (>1GB) amount of memory and will not be using virtual memory very often (large applications or documents, esp. photoshop, final cut pro, etc) then the difference is not going to be all that bothersome.

The main question is how much you need to extra 20GB and whether you anticipate upgrading your hard drive in the future since 7200rpm drives with larger capacity than 120GB will be out in a short while.
  4. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    since i am running out of space on my 40GB drive in my 12" PB . . . i say go for the 120GB. . . but that is me. . . what is more important to you, 20 extra GB or a little speed? if speed is more important then go for the 100GB 7200rpm it will be worth it, though it might drop the battery time.
  5. Jorginson thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2005
    I plan on getting the PB with 1 gig of ram, and possibly buying some more ram in the future. I'm buying this because I travel a lot and use Adobe and Macromedia applications.

I have no problems with upgrading hard drives, but will that void the warranty?

Right now I'm leaning towards the 100.
  6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Yes, a hard drive update will offically void the warranty. However Apple has tended to be fairly reasonable with this sort of thing... in my experience, which is supported by various internet reports, if you perform a competent upgrade (ie you do not break things in the process) then they will honour the warranty on other parts of the system. After all, there is nothing special that a certified Apple tech does when you pay them to upgrade the hard drive. Also, a HD upgrade is typically done sometime after the first 12 months.

Also, as a heads up, opening an Aluminium Powerbook is a complex process that takes some care. It is not difficult, but you need to take your time and be patient.
  7. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2005
    I also went with the 7200rpm. Maxtor 250GB is also on the way. :D