Powerbook harddrive failure

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Semaphoric, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Semaphoric
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I have an old 12" Powerbook (1.5 Ghz/512 RAM/60 g) and the hard drive failed. I took it to a date recovery place and they said they couldn't retrieve data from the drive since it's complete crashed.

I would like to attempt to try retrieving the data from the drive myself, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this? I've heard that sometimes if you put your drive in the refrigerator, it may revive the HD. Any tips?

Thanks.

2. eyoungren
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

eyoungren

I tried that once. Actually put it in the freezer for a few hours. The drive spun up and I was able to access it. The problem was that the drive was so messed up that it would have taken about a day to recover all the data. The data was valuable but not irreplaceable so I pulled the plug.

Tried the same trick one more time a bit later and it didn't work. So, if you try it be sure you're ready to work because in my case I only got one chance.

3. jbarley
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

jbarley

Try a Google search using terms such as "Freezer, Hard drive, problems", and you'll find links to others, some who claim success with this method.

4. Semaphoric
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

How long did you leave the drive in the freezer for?

5. eyoungren
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

eyoungren

About 2.5 hours. The instructions I found mentioned an hour so I threw in an extra for good measure.

6. max¥¥
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

for the freezer trick put it in overnight, from my experience the longer you leave it in the better. I's a bit temperamental though, i had a drive which it diddn't work on, i put it in the freezer again and the it worked

(a random bit of info, after a lcs rebuild my g5 wouldn't boot, so i put the hole cpu assembly in the fridge over night, and guess what, it worked ;) (The actual problem was that there was too much thermal paste on one cpu)