Powerbook harddrive noise

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jamie329, Aug 20, 2005.

1. jamie329 macrumors member

I got my 12" Powerbook 1.5 Ghz brand new about a month ago. For the last week or so it seems like the hard drive is making a whirring noise that sounds like a quiter fan. I don't think it's the fan because when the fan comes on, it's much louder, and this noise is present no matter how cool the computer is. I remember it being completely silent a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if this is normal or should I be concerned ?

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I wouldnt' think so. I have a PB and it does make some of those random noises here and there buts they are a reallly high performance machine so expect some stuff like that..its hard to tell whether or not to be worried but I wouldn't

3. jamie329 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I didn't specify earlier, but the noise is constant. Does that make a difference ?

4. fitinferno macrumors 6502

It depends on how much you use your Mac, imo. If something you're using is constantly accessing the HD, then that should be expected. If not, then it could be a problem. Seeing as you just got the PB only a month ago, it is still well in the warranty time. If you really want to be sure about it, you could take it to an Apple store if one's close.

Otherwise, just be sure you maintain a regular backup schedule because even if nothing's wrong, you never know what could happen.

If you start hearing chirping sounds coming out of it, then definitely make sure you have a backup--that could signal an impending HD failure for sure.

5. powerbookxtrm macrumors newbie

I am new here... I bought my Powerbook 12" just a few week ago, and I love the thing... I left it out in my car one day when it was sort of hot. I notice that the hard drive is a little louder than when I bought it. Did I do any damage? I didn't have it running in my car... but it was sort of hot, and it was in there for about 5 or 6 hours. Should I ever think about this again? I left it in there by accident too.

Any help would be great!

6. powerbookxtrm macrumors newbie

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have done any damage. I think the temperatures would have had to be hotter than a car would get to do any damage in that short amount of time.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Could it be a the motion detector on the HD has gone bad? I know when I move around my PB, it makes a similar sound, but it only does it when the PB is moved, and it isnt constant. You could always give Apple a call.

9. giffut macrumors 6502

If ...

... the PB got very hot, the interior parts might have experienced some minor expansion. Due to the heat exposure your HD now might have physical contact to another part and transports its vibrations on the PB case, so it gets somewhat amplified. The result for most of the time is a whirring sound, as if the HD became significantly louder.

I now that this at least happened to some clamshell ibook I came across and many PC notebooks I hear when I pass by the owner´s houses.