PowerBook HD: 4200 rpm vs. 5400 rpm

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NoCleverSNForMe, May 1, 2004.

1. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm buying a 12 inch PowerBook soon, so I'm asking all of those PowerBook users out there: is it really worth it to upgrade your hard disk from a 4200 rpm disk to a 5400 rpm disk? Does it give a significant increase in speed?

Thanks!

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

check out barefeats.com. They have a new article on this. For over 100 bucks? Maybe- if you want every ounce of speed and can spend the money then yes.

3. papersushi macrumors regular

RPM is only one of the many factors that determines HD's performance. 5400RPM doesn't mean it's 28% faster than 4200 RPM. Overall pefformance of your Hard drive is also determined by average seek time, buffer size, bus speed, bandwidth transfer speed. That's why 4200 RPM drives these days are even faster and have better performance than 5400 RPM even 7200 RPM drives few years ago.

In most cases, performance difference between these two drives on PB is unnoticable. 5400 RPM may produce a little bit more heat and runs out of your battery a little bit faster than 4200 drive.

If you REALLY REALLY need FAST hard drive, such as heavy video editing and rendering, get an external harddrive. Not only it spins at faster speed, usually 7200RPM, also you will take the work load off your internal drive. That way, your internal drive concentrates on only running application and OS.

So my suggestion? Take the 4200 RPM, you will be happy with it.

4. darraghsmyth macrumors newbie

I've just ordered my 12" PB with 1.25Gb RAM and 80Gb HD :D

I asked in the shop in London if the 12" 80Gb extension offered by Apple.com was 4200rpm or 5400rpm. They suggested it was still only 4200rpm. On the apple site itself they suggest the 80Gb is still only 4200.

So how does one get the faster HD on the 12"?

While I'm at it, does anyone know where on can buy slimline carrier bags to fit a 12" PB snugly, both a padded one and a metal one? No point in getting a GIANT bag for such a neat and tidy machine.

darragh

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Congrads. I just bought the 12" PBook as well- also with the 80G BTO option. I'm not sure if things are different in Europe, but I know in the States, the 80G BTO option is in fact a 5400rpm drive (it says so on the Apple store as the 80G option...as well as on my order invoice).

Can't help you with the slimline carrier bag though, I'm torn about which to buy myself. I can suggest doing a search though- both here as well as under the "Product Recommendations/Reviews" heading... there are many great postings discussing bags there.

6. darraghsmyth macrumors newbie

I just noticed that Apple USA sells the faster HD extension on the 12" but Apple UK do *not*! Strikes me as a tad strange since all the machines are made to order in the far east anyway. Ah well, so be it.

I just found a good site called http://www.willowdesign.com that appear to do a good range of slimline sleeves and slipcases.