Powerbook heat issues

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Nov 16, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

So i have heard the powerbooks get uncomfortably hot. Was this only an issue with previous powerbooks say a year ago? Do the recent powerbooks have heat issues as well or have they been resolved? :confused:

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

If you're talking about Powerbooks from a year ago, that would be ... Rev A? I think Rev A's, in general, suffered the bulk of the defects you might have heard about the Powerbooks.

I have a 15" Rev C (the latest release, April 2004) and I don't have problems with too much heat. If I'm doing something processor intensive, the Powerbook's bottom definetely warms up -- but so do lots of other laptops. It has never warmed to the point where I need to take it off my lap for an extended period of time, though perhaps once or twice I've lifted it off just for a few seconds because the heat was bothering me.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You've probably heard stories about the Rev A. 12-incher. It got so warm that the aluminum case bent.
    I've got a Rev C 12-incher, and it don't get hot, but a bit warm.

Gaming, rendering and compiling makes the powerbook warm, but never uncomfortable.

4. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I've got a rev.c 15'' 1.5Ghz PowerBook, and when I have to use it on my lap, I make sure of two things:
    • Set the processor speed mode to automatic
    • Put a thin cushion between the bottom of my laptop and my legs

If you use it for processor-intensive tasks (I do lots of compiling on mine), this thing will get unpleasantly hot, and after half an hour, the sensation becomes a bit painful if you have a sensitive skin. That's why I put something to absorb the heat my trusty Bender produces.

Plus, I may want to have children one day ;p

5. PeterBonnar macrumors member

i've had one of each revision of the alu-books.

Everyone has been VERY WARM. The rev a one was just silly it used to cook my legs and the fan was on constantly. My latest one which is only a few months old is still very warm but its actually still useable.

i recommend a cushion... or if you know where to get it some kevlar (probably spelt wrong) sheets.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    A cushion will make the problem worse since the heat can't dissipate from the metal properly.

Use it on a hard surface - a hardback book or a tray on your lap - and the heat will be less.

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have a rev C powerbook. This has got a little too hot for my liking occasionally. Generally, I have only had this problem when either watching DVD's or playing C&C Generals.

8. Yotabyte macrumors member

Yotabyte

How about try this...

Don't do intensive applications while having the Powerbook on your lap, unless you don't want kids (or more kids). Play games, compile programs, transfer large files, create backups, watch DVD's not on your lap but on a desk or on something else which hopefully reflects heat (like, if you're on a plane, the food tray, if you're on the couch and decide to install a 4-CD RPG game, then the coffee table)

Another thing. despite sending emails and IM's as well as casual internet browsing wirelessly, you're not going to be playing games wirelessly with a trackpad are you? Nor are you going to be playing around with graphics, or doing long file transfer due to battery restrictions. So really, the heat problem should't effect you so much and even if it does, just change your habits a little and everything should be fine.

I may not be a mac expert, but these things are just generic laptop handling issues and make sense to me.

Hope it helps.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i have a revA 15-incher that has a 7200rpm hard drive installed. it doesn't run hot at all, unless i really stress the system with protools (having +80% cpu usage for several hours continuously). and even then it doesn't cause skin burns, even though touching it is not so comfortable. but hey, that's like "as hot as it gets" so no biggie :D

10. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Your right, its a laptop thing rather than a powerbook problem. I wouldn't say that any heat issues should be of concern.

Ps, I have occasionally player generals with the trackpad and win :) . However, I usually use a bluetooth mouse when at my desk.

11. Yotabyte macrumors member

Yotabyte

ROFL how'd you manage that? I bet you were playing as the US. :p

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Well, I like to think I am good! I have recently been playing with the US, but used to play as China just for the Nuke! I can win with either. However, it is SOOOO much easier with my m$ bluetooth mosue. Scroll whell, right click etc!

13. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

While i traveled for a week or so i hade my PB 17" with me and it did get ht after a while but nothing a book did not solve. Most laptops do get hot but you could always use a book or something flat.

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There is absolutely no problems having my 12-inch on my lap!

I think the 15-inch is maybe warmer since its thinner than the 12-inch..

15. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My PB 17' 1.33 GHz gets a bit toasty but never leg-scorching hot. Even with 2 GB RAM I will often push it to the point where the fan is on constantly (1.5 GB Photoshop files) at which point it will get a bit toasty - never too hot to keep on my lap though and... kinda nice on a cold fall day.

16. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

the bottom of my powerbooks gets incredibly hot. it is managable, though.

17. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

its really not that bad on most powerbooks i have used, but if you are using a laptop for 6 hours straight then its gonna get hot. But if you are using it for that long in one place/session then maybe a laptop isn't the best solution. And as for the rev a 12"s warping, yes that was a problem but they fixed it with firmware updates, again it was an issue that was majorly overblown on forums. My 12" 1Ghz doesn't sit perfectly flat on a flat surface as do several of my friends 15"s, so does that mean that rev b's or c's suffer from warping? no not really its just minor differences in the manufacturing process but they're within tolerances so i make do. you'll never get anything absolutely perfect.

most laptops get warm, its best to just accept it.

18. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thanks everyone but isnt heat a bad thing when it comes to electronics if the powerbook is getting that hot ona daily basis that cant do well for the longevity of the machine :mad: is that an acurate statement? Any comments are appreciated

19. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

It's not the being hot part which is bad for electronic devices, rather the transition from cold to hot which causes stress on the chips iirc.

so, why bother, let's all fold 24/7 :D

20. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I've seen it before (and I'm too lazy to search for it again) but the heat from a portable computer in a person's lap can cause burns even over a long period of time because "it's not THAT hot". It may be called a laptop (refers to size), but don't take it literally. Always have a hard surface between you and it (at least under it). A cushion may make for a comfortable ride, but really messes with the designed heat removal processes.

Keep it on your lap if you can accept the dermatitus.

Keep it on a cushion if you can accept cooking your 'book. :)

21. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Or better yet keep it on a PowerBook specific base like the Podium Coolpad or the iLap

22. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

23. Stallion macrumors newbie

All computers get hot, laptops and desktops, Mac and PC. It's the nature of the beast. Is heat on a daily bases gonna hurt the longevity of the machine? Depends. If it gets hot enough, it will melt components. That has a tendency to lessen the longevity. Now, it would have to get DERN hot to do that. You would have to be overclocking it, or blocking the exhaust vents. Even then, it probably wouldnt cause a problem. Companies clock their machines well within their tollerences. If it gets hot enough that you start noticing odd things happening, such as programs crashing and other odd behavior, then you need to get the machine serviced. It's highly unlikely you would ever see that though.

Bottom line : computers get hot. You should see my Dell Dimension. Now that will hurt you!

24. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

well im not used to hot computers im running an amd 1800 with 512 memory at 400 megs 120 gig hard drive 52x cd burner and a nvidia 128 graphics card in a all aluminum lian li mid tower case with 4 case fans not including the ones in the power supply its never hot

25. efoto macrumors 68030

I think what has been stated about the heat being a native computer issue, not just a Mac issue. I use an older Compaq Armada m700 at work (800mhz PIII) and it gets quite hot. I also use a 15" PB at work (have to switch for applications) and it gets hot too...depending on how you define "hot".
    Personally I think the PB is cooler than the m700, I would hesitate to use HOT with either, but the m700 is noticably warmer though, so take that for what it is worth, but I think all mobile computers are going to be warm, its fundamental to the computing process in this day and age :)