Powerbook HELP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by russianguns, Sep 1, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There should be a hardware test DVD that came with it, insert that into the optical drive, and boot off the DVD. Once you have done that and are running off the DVD, go into Disk Utility and select your drive. Then select the option 'Zero All Data'. It should take a while, but once it's done it will be impossible to recover data with programs like Norton.

(the data can still be recovered, but it takes thousands and thousands of dollars to do it, so I wouldn't worry about it)

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Not the hardware test CD, the System restore DVD. They are two different things.

Actualy, I just checked mine, it seems Apple is making them the same disc, what do you know.

Oh and to add to what musicpyrite said.

You get to disc utility through the Apple menu when booted off the disc (you are not forced to run the installer right away, which it seems like at first).

After you zero all data, run the installer and put the system back on.

Note (you will want to give this to the buyer to):After all that alot of the programs aren't yet on your computer. You need the second disc and to have already set up a user account to do this so you should leave that for the buyer (there should be more on this in the manuals).