powerbook hinge clicking

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tonywalker23, Jan 24, 2004.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

my powerbook is about 6 months old. it used to open and close smooth, like the new ones in the stores. the past little while it has began to make a clicking noise like it is sticking when i go to close it from open position or open farther back. is it just normal wear or is their anything i can adjust?
    thanks

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

i dunno, i've heard that on someone's ibook i was workin on, it isn't normal i don't think....

3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

My bathroom door makes some major clicking sound, but never had/heard a clicking PowerBook.

They had a major hinge problem with the early G3 PowerBooks, but, as far as I know, there's no issue on G4.

You might want to just bring it in to an Apple store / repair shop for a quick check.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife's 15" PB that she purchased in October also had that clicking sound. Our local Mac Genius said to use just a small drop of WD40. In our case the back light and airport card wasn't functioning properly. So it had to be sent to TX for repair. The ended up replacing the logic board and the screen. Now the clicking is gone.

5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Oh, I remember now, my very first PB G4 had some out-of-rublicant kind of sound. So it might be just an oiling issue like wdlove has suggested.