Powerbook hinges/Apple repair policy

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ben Sheehan, May 21, 2003.

1. Ben Sheehan macrumors newbie

I was clumsy enough to stand on my powerbook power cord a few days back, which yanked my 667 DVI off my bed onto the floor. The monitor was open, and even thoug the fall was two feet max onto carpet, the hinges have spread (badly on one side - it landed monitor first). The spreading started to get worse, so I took it in to a reseller here - it needs a new hinge.

I'm a little ticked off figuring that the pb should be a little tougher than this, it really was a soft fall. But I was totally blindsided by the amount apple charge for a new hinge:

They want AU$2,000 - US$1,300 for the hinge sans labour The thing only cost me AU$900 more than this (it was a demo used for one day at a seminar).

The kicker was that the repair guy at the reseller actually told me apple charged like this 'so they could sell more units'.....

C'mon apple, get it together - customer service shouldn't be an oxymoronic term :confused: Does it work this way in other countries also?

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I'm really sorry to hear about that.

Check with your homeowner's or renter's insurance if you have any, because they might cover it.

Other than that, I guess you're out of luck. :(

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. Ben Sheehan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links, the price just came down $1700 there :)