Powerbook + iMac/Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by octoberdeath, Mar 26, 2005.

1. octoberdeath macrumors regular

octoberdeath

Alright I am finally deciding to go ahead and get a new setup... the one I have now is very unsatisfying. Ok so I have decided to opt for the Powerbook G4 17" so that I can do video on the go. But I find myself between a rock and a hard place. Should I add a 23" screen for when I have it parked at home... or should I get a iMac G5 for home use? If I get a larger screen I would use it as a duel monitor so that I could have my work palettes on the smaller screen while the pictures and videos on the larger one. If I get the iMac then I would have the G5 at my disposal and a larger hardrive.

So what do you guys think?

P.S. Would the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor work with a Mac?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd get the 17" PB + the Dell 24" + an external hard drive.

Working between machines gets complicated, having the same versions of files on both is a pain. If you can keep to one it will make life easier. You can boost your PB's disk space easily, and effectively with a FW800 external disk, and the 24" Dell will give you all the screen space you need.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Witht he 17" PB, the only reason you would want a different CPU at home is if you needed dual G5 processing power for your software.

If everything you want to do runs fine on the PB, go with a screen, external Firewire drive (for backup and archival storage) and possibly a keyboard, mouse and/or speaker system.

That way you'll have dual monitors and all the accessories you'd ever want at home, and like e said, you won't have to sync data back and forth between CPUs.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I would get an external display to go along with your 17 inch pb. I agree that working between machines can be a pain. Its best to keep everything centrally (if thats how you spell it) located. ;)

5. octoberdeath thread starter macrumors regular

octoberdeath

thanks guys for your responses. With what you guys have said I will be going with the Powerbook and an extra screen. I'm pretty sure I will go with the Dell Ultra Sharp. I do have one concern though... on the Dell website it says PC and nothing about Mac, will they still work together?

6. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Of course they'll work together :) Looks like a great monitor too! Hope you enjoy!