Powerbook in Jeep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jsegbers, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Jsegbers macrumors newbie

I know this sounds like a wierd one but I just got a new macbook pro. Ive had an old powerbook collecting dust ever since. The screen was a lil screwy but i fixed the bracket, but the problem is coming back so I decided to use it for this project

My main question is, I need to remove the screen of the power book again so i can use a fold down 7" lcd off of the roll bar. Will the powerbook still turn on after i have taken off the screen, or is there a way I can trick it to make it still think its there.

I have all of the security issues, although nothing is safe in a jeep. For the most part im covered unless someone knows how i have everything wired and mounted on my jeep.

I have the weather problem pretty much fixed as well, but if anyone has gone fanless in their powerbook i would be interested. Im not near it but i beleive it is a 466mhz version Gen1.

I promise a great write up in exchange for help over this obstacle. It will be ran for music, Gps for when im out in the middle of no where, and OB diagnostics. And other little inventions to come.

2. Jsegbers thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump for any takers? or does anyone know where i might be able to get a techhie question answered like this?

3. zflauaus macrumors 65816

It is possible to make the PowerBook headless, especially since it's an older model. This may help you. If not, just do a Google search for How To Make A Headless PowerBook Work.

You need a DC to AC power converter for it to run off of and you also need to find some sort of cable or adapter, whether it be VGA or S-Video. I don't know the exact procedure. Somebody else would have to help you out on that.

4. Jsegbers thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks like the plan. I have to wiring allready figured out. 40$ for the Dc/ac 20$ for the usb gps antannea. 130 for the 7" flat screen. and then i gotta dump money into a trackball mouse or jogwheel