Powerbook installation discs -- ripped off?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dopey malone, Aug 18, 2004.

1. dopey malone macrumors newbie

Just bought a powerbook 15" which is installed with the Panther OS and I believe it has everything it should on it. But no discs have been provided for reinstallation or backup. Called the seller and he said Apple no longer provided them with the computer but would reinstall them if there was any problem.

Is this true :confused:

As I understand, the 1 year worldwide warranty is for hardware only, not software, so how could this work?

Anyway, I will not even be in this country when I need to reinstall (bought the computer in Indonesia but I live in Australia).

Someone please fill me in ASAP as I need to know if I should go and make a fuss or not!!!

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Not true Apple always provide installation disks with new systems. If there were none with the system the seller must have opened the box and removed them, meaning they could no longer sell it as a new system.

They're trying to rip you off, are they an authorized Apple seller? I'd recommend calling Apple about it or just returning it for a full refund and buying from a reputable seller.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Hmmmm sounds fishy. I know on my PowerMac I got several discs for OS X. Heck even on my PC I some system recovery CDs. You should always get some sort of recovery/OS CD when you buy a computer.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Go and kick up a fuss - the dealer is having you on. All Apple computers come with installation disks.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

My HP Pavilion didn't come with them. There is a recovery partition on the HDD, and you have to make the CDs yourself. What the hell are HP thinking?

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Very true. On our Compaq :eek: the HD has a seperate partition for recovery.

7. dopey malone thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh darn. :(

Thanks for the info, I will go and kick up BIG fuss.

Another question for y'all... Given that it probably is NOT an authorized dealer, does this void my warranty? I mean, if I make sure I get the discs can I just keep it or should I return it? Do have a receipt with a special stamp thing on it but this may be meaningless.

thanks

8. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Firstly did it come in the Apple retail box with photo of the Powerbook on the outside? did it include all of the accessories in the cellophane wrap? check the Powerbook specs page to see what your should have gotten and if your PB specs match.

Next enter you PB serial number into this website, it'll tell you what the actual specs of the machine are and when and where it was made.

If you feel you've been had I'd try returning it, if you're happy with the machine try calling AppleCare in Indonesia and registering the machine with your Australian address (the PB has a 1 year international warranty), tell them there weren't any disks in the box they may send you replacements.

9. dopey malone thread starter macrumors newbie

10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

11. jane doe macrumors 6502

Dude, The powerbook comes with a restore DVD, you have to install the restore application from the DVD, then open it and select what applications (Like iDVD) that you want. After you do the OS install.

Its all there, should be on one or two disks.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it's not the fact that it might not be covered under warranty. its the fact your computer may not be new at all and might be out of warranty. all macs come with restore discs, always have. first make sure if they are sketchy and screwing you over or if the salesman was just unexperienced or uniformed. chances are these poeple are not the people you want to be doing business with.

iJon

13. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I once helped some one out with his Packard Bell. That computer had 'recovery software' on a seperate partition too. When you start a Packard Bell for the first time, it says you should create 4 (!) recovery CD-R's, wich are created from that seperate partition. Ofcourse he hadn't done that.

I ended up spending about an hour f*cking around with weird problems before I decided to do a fresh install. Another hour and a half to create the cd's, and almost two hours to do the install itself. It was annoying! Sooo slow and it looked like absolute crap.

Aargh I hate being a 'he knows a lot about computers' guy. The most frustrating is when people actually think you LIKE solving windows problems cause hey, computers are my hobby right?? And women who say to their husbands 'well go watch what he's doing maybe you can learn something' :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I think we've already established there were no disks in the box, this being the purpose of the thread.

Next time try reading a thread before responding :rolleyes: