PowerBook & iPod case recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SpaceyGirl, Oct 6, 2003.

1. SpaceyGirl macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Hi everyone,

I've taken the plunge and got my first Mac. It's quite exciting and I'm so glad that I decided to go with a PowerBook. I spent months hunting for a good portable sleek and cool looking notebook. Of course there aren't that many PC makers that design a nice notebook without charging 5 arms and 4 legs. So I decided to go for the 12" PowerBook after the speed bump came along. I even got myself an iPod to keep my new PB company. ;)

On Wednesday (fingers crossed) my PowerBook 12" arrives...I'm so excited. I've already received the Airport Extreme card and my iPod, very boring to have these two without the PowerBook. In the meantime, I've been checking out cases for my PowerBook and iPod (3G-20GB), and I'm not sure what to get.

So far I like the iSkin exo for the iPod...it seems neat. I don't plan on using the case the iPod came with since I've read bad things about it. Any advice or ideas of other cool cases. I will just be carrying it in my bag or pocket...no running or sports activity.

As for a case for my PowerBook, I'm unsure of what to get. I'm a fairly small person and would prefer not to carry a huge notebook bag around. I saw a few sleeves and thin looking cases that seem to fit into your current messenger bag. Are there any nice bags that aren't humongous? Does anyone have recommendations on a nice case for the 12"?
  2. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    Timbuk2.com - GREAT bags. Customize yours if you don't like the pre-fab versions. They should (if memory serves) have a 12" sleeve.
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i have a sleeve from www.spireusa.com i like it a lot. Also I have an iSkin for my original ipod and it is awesome hihgyl recommneded
  4. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    For your iPod, I would suggest not getting anything that looks like it can rub against your iPod very much. I had a neoPod case with my 2g iPod, and it scratched it up. You can see pictures here.

Good luck with your new PowerBook and iPod!
  5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    I've had pretty much the same dilemma with my 15" Powerbook. After doing some reasearch, I've narrowed it to the TIBag (www.tibag.com) or the Commute (www.timbuk2.com). The TiBag looks smaller and closer to what you're looking for, and it fits the 12" PB. And the price is perfect ...

In the meantime I'm still using a top loading NotePac from Targus from my last PC laptop. It has lots of space, and I'll probably keep it around for times when I need to look professional and/or traveling.
  6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i have an incase MoyaPak for my 12" pb. i like it - not bulky, the pb fits perfectly, there's room for the power cord, mouse, ipod, etc. and it's a bit more stylish than a hard-core laptop bag. go to www.goincase.com. i didn't want just a sleeve, but a small bag with just enough room for the essentials when i take the pb out with me. i know what you mean about case size - i'm 5'3" and didn't want something overwhelmingly large.

for my ipod, i sprung for a vaja i-vod case. see www.vajacases.com. a bit pricey, but i have one of their cases for my pda and the quality and style are great. and the case design offers some protection against damage in a drop or something. if you want to go all out with different colors and personalization, that's possible with them too, but of course that adds to the pricetag.

good luck in your search for cases! i'm sure you'll enjoy your powerbook and ipod - i just got mine a few weeks ago and love them!

7. Electribe F macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    I picked up the Marware sport case from the Apple store. It's saved my iPod from a few falls and the clip is fairly beefy.
  8. Teronke macrumors member

Oct 3, 2003
    Re: PowerBook & iPod case recommendations

Became a switcher in August when I purchased my 12' Powerbook. And for me the means of carrying my Powerbook around was a big issue. It was actually incredibly difficult to find a bag that didn't feel like breaking your neck after a few hours use and something that was stylish. Anyhow here is my advice.

I would recommend against a sleeve. They usually don't fit much beside from the Powerbook itself. You'll find if you're on the road alot that you'll be taking your power adapter, a computer lock, perhaps a few CDs, an ethernet cable etc so ideally you'd want a bag. Also putting a sleeve into another bag is not ideal since most bags aren't designed to carry 2kg plus for prolonged periods and most probably won't stop the sleeve from shifting around in the bag. You'll also find it quite uncomfortable. If you just have to opt for a sleeve, make it one of those sleeve bags sold by ACME MADE (http://www.acmemade.com/bags.htm). They look so good and seem reasonably functional.

My suggestion is opt for a new bag. It'll cost more but be much more flexible and comfortable in the long run. Don't worry about the size of the bags, you'll actually be surprised at how small a 12' laptop bag is. It won't fit much more than your laptop. I ended buying a 15' bag because it allows me to carry a book or a change of clothes etc.

I highly recommend two brands. They are Aussie companies that have a large range of laptop bags. They've been so successful at it that they now also distribute to a number of other countries. And most importantly they're not your average staid looking and poorly designed batch of bags.

First, there's CRUMPLER (http://www.crumpler.com.au). They make some excellent laptop satchels. Lots of padding for the Powerbook and as well as on the strap. Really hardy materials and nice colourful bags. And they're got a nice sculpted shape to make them look smaller than they really are. I actually ended up getting the Crumpler 15' Wack A Phone satchel and it's been very good to me.

Second, theres STM (http://www.standardtm.com.au). They make some excellent laptop back packs. Lots of padding, great straps and pretty good designs. Also they've got this great oversized laptop handbag which is great for the chics. They also got satchels but there' not as stylish as the Crumpler bags.

Hope that helps.
  9. SpaceyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Thank you all so much for the recommedations! I really appreciate the help. It's tough finding good recommendations/reviews on a case/bag solution for notebooks. I feel like I've googled most of the word combinations I could think of. At least now I have more leads to check out and consider. I'll definitely let you know what I choose. Hopefully, I can find stores that have the bags in so I can touch and feel the material and try on the bag too. :) I'm such a girl, I know!

Good news is my PowerBook just came today...a bit earlier than expected...but I'm not complaining. Of course, I still haven't purchased any sort of carrying case for the PB or the iPod. I think I've decided to go with the iSkin for my iPod. Supposedly, a really great deal is coming this week for it...so that's good. I love a great bargain especially on things I am planning to get to begin with.

The bag issue is a tough one for me. Just like macLC40 said when you're a small girl you don't want a bag that makes you look even smaller. :) I do want to protect it though since it is my new baby.

The bag issue aside I still haven't opened the box yet...I'm at work now and I know the instant I open it I'll be so distracted! I could just sit and admire it's packaging in the meantime. I give myself two hours...before I break down and tear the box apart. I must admit tho...Mac really does know how to package things. The PowerBook and the iPod boxes are SO COOL!
  10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I recommend getting the iSkin Exo for your iPod. I got one for my 10 GB, and I think its great. I feel much better knowing that my iPod is less likely to get scratched now. :)
  11. SpaceyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Okie I was a totally good worker bee and finished all my stuff and then tore the box open.

I have to say it's SO COOL. It's not just the packaging and the PowerBook itself but it's everything...the power plugs and all those little details. *sigh* I'm so in love. Can't wait till my PowerBook and iPod meet. ;)

Thank you for telling me about Crumpler. I checked out a few of the Crumpler bags and I really love the style and the colors. Definitely, more what I had in mind. Of course the two styles that I liked aren't available in the US. I'll have to wait a few weeks, the store I contacted said that they would be getting a few in. *sigh* I like the little Wee Bee...it's so cute and girly but I have to decide on the whole price...it's much more than I had planned to spend on a bag. I also liked the McBains Lovechild. It's a good sleeve I saw that one at a store here. I might wait and see what to choose.
  12. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    A lot of good stuff has already been mentioned here (I'm getting a 12" Powerbook, so it's great to see so many different case reccomendations).

You can use the Apple iPod case (until you get a better one, that is), but it'll probably break if you use it for too long (the clip broke off mine very quickly). You might want to check out Timbuk2's iPod/PDA case. It might be a little big for the newer iPods (it fits my ol' 5 GB 'pod just fine), but otherwise it's a great case.

Someone already mentioned Timbuk2 for a laptop case, and with good reason. They aren't cheap, but they're really cool. :cool:

And, of course:
    Congrats on making the switch! :D
  13. mangoman macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2002
    Second Floor
    Another vote for sfbags.com. Gary and his crew rock. Super well made stuff. I own two!
  14. SpaceyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Sorry guys...but another question...

When buying a case, is it better to get something that fits your laptop perfectly...or is it okay if it can slide around a bit in the laptop pocket in the bag?

Someone told me to get something bigger and another told me fitted is better. I was just curious what most of you all did.
  15. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i vote for fitted for a couple of reasons. if you have extra room around your powerbook while it's in the larger laptop pocket, it's easy to justify putting something else in there with it to use up that extra space. if you put cords or other paraphenalia in there, these could possibly scratch your powerbook. if you get a case where your powerbook fits perfectly inside the pocket, you won't have any "wasted" space around your powerbook.

and if the laptop pocket is too big, your powerbook will shift around while you're walking or moving the bag around - this could throw off the balance of the bag and you could drop it or it could slide off your shoulder or something.

can you tell i'm paranoid about damaging my pretty powerbook? you may not be as paranoid as i am, but these are just a few concerns that i'd have with a larger-than-necessary sleeve/bag. so, my bag has a fitted pocket, with another separate pocket for cords, etc.

so, which case have you chosen? there are so many to choose from!

16. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I got a Timbuk2 Commute for my new powerbook. It works great, I love it. I use the standard ipod case that comes with the 20/40 gb versions.
  17. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Ok, sorry to jump in so late, but check out the bag I got from Blurr:

(sorry, couldn't find the Blurr web site so I just did a Google search for a site that sold the bag. I actually bought my bag retail).

Anyways - check out the bags dimensions - it's quite small but still just right for your PBook. It's also very, very light, and its vertical orientation makes it look even smaller. (I love the vertical orientation - it makes me more aerodynamic as I weave through pedestrians on busy Manhattan streets).

As far as an iPod case, make sure you get one that protects your screen, since that's the most scratch-prone part. I opted for the InCase leather sleeve that they sell at all the Apple Atores. It's slim (even with belt clip), protects the screen, gives you full access to the ports on the top of the iPod, and also gives you access to the dock port at the bottom of the iPod. Needless to say it also gives you full access to all the controls on the front of your iPod.
  18. iznAdiznam macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2001
    Hey there. DO NOT use the ipod case that comes with it. It scratched my 15 GB model horrendously. I now have the black iSkin, and I love it. I never take it off, it has a screen protector, and it is simply perfect. Go for it.

On an aside, I have the 3G 15GB iPod, and I bought it right when it was released. Well, my friend just bought the newer 20GB model, and the screen is blue, where mine is a dull blue, more white, and the sound is better on his. Can anyone shed any light on this discrepency? Do I have a lemon, or have they upgraded the display, and maybe added better drivers?

19. SpaceyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    Man so many bags...too many choices.

I did settle on an iSkin eXo for my iPod...I like the fit of it and I'm super paranoid of scratching it. It was great since Lajo.biz was also having a 2 for 1 sale on them...an offer that I couldn't just pass up. I suppose when the newness of having and iPod all wears off I might not care much later, but I show how doubt that.

As of now...I've kept my precious babies at home. I know it sounds super retarded to be afraid of scrtaching up or damaging my PowerBook or iPod. I only cracked my iPod out today actually. I home those iSkins get here soon...I can't wait to be able to take my baby on the road. :)

After checking out all the bizillion bags and all the web sites you all provided...I will probably get the Crumpler Wee Bee or the Crippy Duck. I think it's cute. What sucks is that I can't find it at any store yet...unless I fly to Australia. *sigh* I've seen other Crumplers and I like the way they are made and I like the colors. The one Crumpler store in NYC here doesn't have them yet...they said maybe in a week...more waiting. :(

Does any one happen to have the Wee Bee or Crippy Duck?? Do you like it? Any dislikes?
  20. FunkyGuitarGirl macrumors member

Oct 12, 2003
    Riverdale, MD
    I picked up a Crumpler Wack-O-Phone Bag off of ebay for about 50 bucks under retail...nice.

These bags are VERY funky, very sturdy and provide a very comfy mobile home for my Lil Al Book.

I like the bag so much that I am thinking of purchasing one of crumpler's back pack lap top bags for traveling. The Wack-O-Phone is perfect for zipping around town but I know I will need something larger for longer trips.

I reviewed the bag in the discussion boards on apple.com. There is a fairly extensive list of what I could fit in it for any who may be interested. You can find is here: http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@16.zhVOaJysiB3.2@.3bbf3d05/9v

enjoy your new tech toys...I got my rev a pb and a 15 gb ipod at the same time (in Aug.) and now that I have the right bag, I don't leave home without them.
  21. medhed macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2003
    Southern Illinois
    iSkin Exo case for iPod work with Dock?!?

Can someone tell me if the iSkin Exo case works with the 3G 40GB iPod Dock WITHOUT removing the iPod from the case?

...Or recommend a good minimal case (ie.,with no cover flap, but protects all but dial & menu buttons) that does work with the Dock?
  22. SpaceyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2003
    I didn't get my iSkin yet but I did see a picture that might help you in deciding on this case. As far as I know the iSkin eXo will fit your 3G 40GB.

Hope this is helpful to you.
  23. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere