Powerbook & iPod Education Special

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grimace, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I've just gotten word that people who qualify for EDU pricing might want to wait a week or so before buying an iPod or Powerbook. The PBs were just updated, so I'm thinking it's an iPod / Powerbook special - like buy a Powerbook, get a half-price iPod!! I'm not 100% sure if it is aimed at the back-to-school market - or if it is exclusive to EDU customers.

This may be the start of back-to-school specials. Apple has done this in the past, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

I have never made a rumors claim before - so I have ZERO credibility thus far. But, that also shows that I am careful about flaunting half-baked info. I believe in this - you can too if you like. All I'm saying is - if you are thinking of getting a new iPod - maybe wait a week. :D

[EDIT] THIS WAS JUST ANNOUNCED!! :D :D
    [​IMG]

2. Bossx20 macrumors newbie

I was waiting for a promo like this before I bought my powerbook. That would be great if it happened! :D

3. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm trying to remember what Apple did before. I remember there was a Powerbook/iBook special in conjunction with iPods, printers - but I don't remember any other details - does anyone recall what last fall brought Edu customers??

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sounds like a lot of things happening in a couple of weeks.

5. Soire macrumors regular

I just ordered a 40 gig personalized iPod and it's on its way from China as I write this. If they release 4th gen. iPods I may break down and cry...

But thanks for the info! ;)

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

My personal opinion is that I don't think it will be a next generation of iPods. I think it will be a special to start diminishing the supply before a next generation in September/October - just in time for the pre-holiday shopping rush!!

7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Apple did a similar thing last summer. $200 off an iPod with purchase of a Powerbook, $100 off of an HP printer. I took full advantage of it and got a $69 iPod and a free HP 5150 printer.

8. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Ah yes - that was the deal. Maybe Apple will add iSights to the list of discounted hardware when purchased with a powerbook. I think IM is still an integral part of the college experience.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, but when isn't that true? Especially if you put your hands up and do air quotes when you say "a couple of weeks". ;)

10. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Oh please, I need something more than "a couple of weeks." ;) Am about to buy a PowerBook from Apple's Edu Store (17" most likely), but extra booty certainly would be enticing. :cool: I just despise this waiting period -- I never know when to buy! :eek:

11. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Well, keep in mind that I didn't say "a couple of weeks" - I would give it one week. If I'm wrong - so be it. But I wasn't saying the notorious "couple of weeks" - I'm saying one week. Absolute tops - two weeks from this past Tuesday.

12. jjc48 macrumors newbie

My school is offering the 15" 1.5ghz/80gb/512 ram for $2149. The HD is 4200 rpm and the video card is the 64mb ATI Radeon. I was really interested in this, but I can't upgrade the HD, single DIMM ram, or video card and still get the extra $150 off compared to the normal educational discount.

Should I buy this one anyway? The only pro-app I use is PhotoShop and just do regular web surfing, iTunes, IM, write papers, digital camera work, and play the occasinal game of WarCraft III. I know this is more than what I need, but the extra HD and video memory is too good to pass up on.

I'm going to consider the iPod deal which is only through the Apple Store, so I'm not in any rush to purchase. I did the same thing last year for the 867 12" PB with a 10gb iPod.

Any thoughts?

13. madtodaimax macrumors member

I was looking for a powerbook right before they updated them. I saw a few schools in the UC system that were offering discounted printers and free iPods with purchase of a powerbook or iBook.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

(dumb question) "Do you get more money off if you go to school A or school B...or is it the same price for all schools...."?
    I was thinking/am getting a powerbook for college, but i don't need an ipod... i have the 30 gig...although a 40 would be nice......

15. gdl96 macrumors newbie

well I was planning on ordering an iPod and powerbook in the next few weeks from the edu store for college this fall. even more reason to switch to a mac!

16. plus_c macrumors member

Most schools (and all BTO) get a standard education discount. However...if your school moves enough Macs, Apple might give a special extra discount for buying in volume. For example, Penn/Drexel/University of the Arts in Philadelphia (three separate universities, one Apple volume buying deal) get special extra discounts because they move so many Macs. So check with your school before you buy.

17. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

To state it differently - all orders placed through the Apple education store have the same price - no matter what school you are from. Prices from the bookstore (et al) at each campus might be different. One of the more common deals is the same price as Apple Edu, but Applecare is $79/99 if you buy it at the same time as the computer.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And I was having some fun from another thread about iMac G5's. Someone distributor suggested they wait a "couple of weeks".

19. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Still, anytime someone says "just wait a couple of weeks" - I get skeptical. Something always happens if you wait long enough. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if iMacs came out in a week or two. But, that is just a personal opinion - I have nothing to back that up.

I do have more than a gut feeling about an Edu special involving Powerbooks (maybe iBooks too) and iPods. If it doesn't come to pass, you can flame me with left over 4th of July fireworks! :eek:

20. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Nope. Same all around (at least as far as I've seen).

21. GroverDoc macrumors newbie

Hope this is true...

I am almost physically aching for this to be true. I remember last summer when I passed on the iPod + Mac promotion expecting some amazing new hardware. If I remember right, last summers promotion was not restricted to edu customers. Anyway, can anyone else corroborate that a new iPod promotion will be coming next week?

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

23. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Ha!! I knew we'd start to hear more about Powerbooks!! :p

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think that Apple is trying to meet demand. Also I think that they are wanting their retail stores to be able to give what most people want, when they want it.