Powerbook/iPod external HD question(s)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by d-fi, Oct 7, 2004.

1. d-fi macrumors member

Jan 12, 2004
    Calgary, Canada
    Hi All

I have a rev b powerbook with a 40GB HD so i've needed to get a external drive so that i have enough space for all my music and other files. So right now about 3/4 of my music is on the external drive and the other 1/4 on the powerbook so that when i go to school i still have music when the external HD is at home.

Now i want to buy a 40GB iPod what i want to know is what happens when i plug the iPod in and the external drive isn't connected (that has 3/4's of my music on it) will it:

A: Automatically start syncing & deleting the music (on iPod) that is not available on the computer

B: iPod won't care will sit there happily recharging whether drive is connected or not

C: Some grey area in between or something else entirely :)

I'm hoping B myself i was thinking that i might have to turn on manual playlists for the iPod or something like that so that it doesn't sync automatically.

I just thought it would b handy to be able to charge the iPod at school or wherever without worring about my external drive

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Yep, that's pretty much how it works. There's an option within iTunes that lets you choose whether to have the Pod sync automatically, or to manage your songs and playlists manually. Just choose to manage manually and you'll be able to charge the Pod without losing your music.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    You could set iTunes to automatically update, but NOT automatically launch when iPod is attached... you probably won't have iTunes open anyway, so it'll just charge the battery, but you'll still get automatic updates when you do launch iTunes.