PowerBook is clicking

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Nov 4, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone, i have a question... my powerbook has been clicking recently. I've been checking the time and it seems that it clicks almost every single night between 8 and 10 p.m. (eastern time). I brought it into apple and told them about it and they said the only way they will replace the hard drive is if they can get it to click. So we turned ona bunch of heavy programs like garage band, opened a bunch of apps and put a screen saver on. So after about a half hour it started to click a little, but it was very faint. Nothing compared to what it sounds like when i tdoes it at night. The guy at the store told me it's nothing to worry about. I really don't want to lose all my data on my hd. What should i do??? I'm thinking about taking it to apple again. I just don't see how this is normal behavior.

Incase your wondering, the specs of my computer are...
    PowerBook G4 1.5 ghz processor/5400 rpm 80gig hd/512 ram/128 vram.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Fist of all. BACK UP YOUR DATA!
    I cannot stress this enough.
    Then go to Apple again and see if you can get it to click like you hear at home. I don't know what to tell you otherwise

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

My old IBM laptop did this all the time (like every 30-60 minutes). I gave it to my mom 2 years ago when I got my iBook, but she still uses it and the HD still works fine.

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Heh, my TiBook is doing it right now. It's really annoying. However, I just replaced my HDD within the last 8 months, so I don't think it's self-destructing. I back it up pretty frequently anyway. :rolleyes:

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem is, is that i don't have anywhere to back up my data to. I'm away at college, i might be able to stick it all on my friends iBook. I tried getting the thing to click in the store like it clicks at night, but it just wasn't clicking loud. It was extremly hot, but it just wasn't doing it. I'm going to give apple a call tomorrow and ask them what they think.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I would go back to Apple. If you can get it clicking, then keep it clicking if possible and don't turn your system off. Just take your machine to Apple while awake and clicking. If the clicking stops after a while, then I don't really know what to say other than to back up your stuff and bite your lip...

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well when i was there the first time the hd did click, it was just very faint, you had to put your ear close to the machine to hear it. The guy said it wasn't anything i should worry about. I'll just call and explain the situation, hopefully they agree to put a new drive in.