Powerbook Just Arrived. Battery Question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smurfsgonewild, Jul 23, 2004.

1. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

That's right folks, my new 15" pbook just arrived. I've got a quick question about battery calibration. I already installed the ram and I plugged in the power book. It's been charging for about an hour or so and the green light is already on. Is it ok to start draining it down or should I let it keep charging some more? The manual said to start draining it as soon as the light turned green but I was wondering if you guys had any different opinions/experiences. Thanks in advance and I'll be back with more comments soon.

2. lazymuoio macrumors member

i ve worked with a bunch of laptops and i recommend to start draining, if its fully charged then there is no need to wait

3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

if the green light is on, the charging has already ended. it serves no purpose to wait longer, except if you are going to sleep right away :) it's best to drain the battery completely dry in one continuous session, without sleeping/restarting or shutting down the computer in between. after the battery is all dead, charge it continuously, too.

one thing...

when the battery has been emptied and the system has shut down, you might not be able to get the power up for a few minutes. the battery is so empty that it takes a few minutes to get sufficient power into the battery, so don't be scared if your laptop "will not start" ;) it's a feature. and in principle it does good to the battery if you don't even try to use the laptop during the first full recharge...

5. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Internet Connection Question

Thanks alot. I've already started to drain it. Another question, I'm trying to hook it up to the internet but it doesn't seem to want to connect. When I did the initial start up, the manual said to use DHCP if I was unsure, which I was, it said to enter my DHCP Client ID but I have no idea what that is. I'm connected to the internet by just a cable modem and I'm the only user of that connection. Get back to me on this one please and thanks in advance.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

find the contract that you have made with your cable company - there might be some useful info. if you need to enter statical ip (one that you have to write to network preferences by yourself) then the numbers will have to be there.

if your cable company doesn't use static ip addresses, then you would be using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, which assigns your computer an ip automatically. usually you don't need to enter any additional info to make it work, but if you do, it would read in your contract.

7. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll have to tackle the depths of my mom's filing system to find it. My friend's coming in to town later and he's dealt with setting up the internet many a times so I'll get him to help me figure it out if I can't get it.
    So far so good with my powerbook. I'm working on draining the battery and transferring all my pics and music over. It's still a little strange but I'll get used to it. Thanks for all the help you guys have given me over the past few weeks.