Powerbook keeps freezing up... help!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacConvert2008, Mar 15, 2005.

1. MacConvert2008 macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got into the mac world with my powerbook (which i was wholeheartedly satisfied with) but lately it intermittently freezes up and gives a gray screen (like the windows blue screen of death) that says I have to restart my computer, and says it in several languages. It happens most frequently when I'm playing movies with quicktime, but it has also occurred randomly while using OfficeMac and other programs. Any ideas? If it's a virus, what's a good antivirus for mac? Thanks!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People might say do...

1. Remove the 3rd party memory upgrade.

2. Insert CD/DVD and run Disk Utility/First Aird/Repair Disk from the CD/DVD, keep running it until you get no more repairs or it stops repairing the drive.

3. Go to www.apple.com/support/ and reinstall the 10.3.8 Combo Update.

4. Repair Permissions from the Disk Utility/First Aird/Repair Permissions (run from HD)

5. Play around to see if there are any problems.

6. Try to see if the 3rd party memory is the problem, but if it brings back a lot of crashes, you'll need to remove it and Repair Disk

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have you added any new RAM before it started panicking?

Are there any peripherals attached when it panics?

It's highly unlikely to be the first OS X virus so it's more likely to be something else.

Does your PB sleep at night? If so, you may want to use Macjanitor to run the cron jobs and then Disk Utility to repair permissions as some general maintenance if you're not doing that alread.

4. MacConvert2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah

yeah actually i should have thought of that... i just bought it, it's last year's model and so i just got a plethora of software and security updates. I know it's n00bish to instantly call things a virus but hell i am a mac n00b. So yeah i guess I'll try to reinstall 10.3.8? it's not the ram because i got that the day i bought the thing, i only started getting problems after i did updates

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The reinstall almost certainly will not help, so save yourself some grief and don't do it. Your problem is virtually without question hardware-related, more than likely, bad RAM. Find the Hardware Test CD that came with your PowerBook. Reboot on it and run the tests (I know most people use them as beer mug coasters, but they are actually more useful than that).

Do you know how to start up in Single User Mode and run fsck?

EDIT: Just to clarify, just because the RAM was good before doesn't mean it's good now.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. Run the Hardware Test CD and Repair Permissions. See what happens. Look at the sticky on how to run fsck in one of the forums... it will help you greatly!

7. jackl79 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem... took it to apple and they said it was the logic board ....... thank got it was still only a few month old all working fine now!