PowerBook keeps going to sleep randomly

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ATTACK7van!, Apr 16, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Today after my powerbook froze up, i had to do a cold restart. This is a very rare occurrence so i didn't think much of it. Now my powerbook randomly goes into sleep mode. even if I am not pressing any keys. Its not sitting idle wither though; it will go into sleep mode even if I am actively using the trackpad. the powerbook is plugged in and indicates the battery is charging.

OS X

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
    Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3
    Serial Number: W853204SSQ6
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    Version: 1.0

2. macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sounds like something got corrupted when you forced-crashed the computer.

Heres what you should do:

1. SMC reset
    2. Reset PRAM
    3. Safe boot

If you need instructions on how to do these let me know.

3. macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Check the temps on the trackpad sensor, mine and a number of others went bananas, +/- 200º sending the powerbook into sleep mode as it was trying to save itself from overheating :)

I removed one of the pins from the temp sensor, but i do believe apple have a new top panel which also includes an updated sensor.

4. macrumors 6502a

anirban

Also verify disk permissions.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys.
    After restarting it seems to have alleviated the problems. I will preform some of the maintenance suggested in order to insure that the original caused of the problem is indeed fixed and dealt with.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I already talked to merl1n about this but it seems that the random sleep has not been corrected...
    My PB seems to be going to sleep randomly after it runs for a while and gets hot. Not good. I suspect a fan is broken, there is not enough exhaust air coming out the back. The other suspect would be a heat sensor somewhere thinks the pb is overheating. However i, suspect it is the former due to the correlation of the pb getting hot and the sleep behavior. Is there a way I can definitively diagnose the problem?