PowerBook keyboard gone mad

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by crassusad44, Apr 22, 2003.

1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

All suddenly the keyboard on my PowerBook went mad. Whenever i hit the Caps Lock key, the computer writes 4rfv or 4RFV. When I hit the < key I get 2wsx. It's also a problem with the following keys: å, ´, page up, page right and '.
    I've tried fsck -y, but to no prevail. I'm on 10.2.5.
    Using an external keyboard via USB seems to work. Only the internal keyboard is affected. Any ideas?

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yep, you need a new keyboard.

i had one that did that once, on an old G3 MiniTower. every time i hit the e or c i think it was i got a string of letters just like you described. so, i plugged in a different keyboard and it worked fine. the weird one did the same on a different 'puter too.

sucks that you need a new keyboard for a powerbook though, probably cost more, unless it's still under warranty??

3. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a new 12 incher... Apple Care will take care of it. Thx for the reply

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Woa, Apple Care will talk you though some things.
    I am not familiar with the 12"PB, but I have gone through enough keyboards to know that they will have you go through a number of steps to remedy the situation. They may seem pointless.

If you can remove the keyboard, or at least lift it up, try resetting or pressing on the connector. This might remedy the situation. But only do it if you’re comfortable with the process.