Powerbook Keyboard question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Nspace, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I was wondering if anyone know if you can take off the keys on a powerbook keyboard.

I had a little drop of coke go down underneaththe far right arrow, and it is a bit sticky, is there a way to take the key off to clean underneath or does anyone know of another method.

Thanks in advance.
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its quite difficult to pry them out; but be careful if you break a hinge you have to replace the entire keyboard
  3. jrober macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2003
    Heathfield, UK
    Depending on where the drop is on the keyboard, a damp strip of cloth passing under the button and pulled back and forth should dampen and then wipe away the coke. Don't pull upwards too hard though as the key may pop off as noted in the previous answer.

I have done this on another keyboard not a PowerBook and it worked well.

4. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2004
    MN / IN
    You may be able to slide an ear swab under the key. Put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on it and slip it under there.
  5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I have found a small flat head screw driver is the best way for getting keys off. You push on one end of the lever causing it to pop out then you can remove the keys, although replacing keys on the newer PBs is harder then the older PBs and iBooks.
  6. cmontene macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2004
    How to put a key back in place

My 9 month pulled a key out of my G4. I see the two hinges and understand
    how it should go back, but have not been able to put it in place.
    I am afraid of breaking something. Is there a trick to this?