PowerBook Keyboard Upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by livingfortoday, Mar 24, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

OK, i've looked around the forums for an answer to this, and the only other thread I found on it basically didn't answer the question, it just discouraged the guy inquiring so that he decided not to do it. But I won't be discouraged!

My question is as follows. I have a 15" Ti PowerBook at 667Mhz, and I want to get one of those nifty backlit keyboards that all the new Mac kids are using these days. Is it possible to fit the keyboard from an Aluminum 15" in place of this old keyboard? I know that there is a sensor for the light (I've heard say in the speaker grille?), but if I were able to get the full keyboard with that sensor, would it be possible to connect it to my PB? Would it even fit in the space?

Thanks!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont think it will work, because the keyboards are made so differently to begin with, sorry i think your out of luck

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Is that meant in a good way, or a bad way? 'Cause to me that sounds really cool. But, uh, that's probably just me.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it does sound kinda cool

but see the problem is that the AL book's keyboard isnt removeable like the ones on the Ti are, so you really cant swap them anyway, unless you want to put too much effort into it

basically you would have to dismantle an AL book keyboard & wiring, along with yours so it can still be removeable etc, way way over my head and way too painstaking, plus i think they connect differently too

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Maybe you could install some LEDs underneath the TiBook keyboard? That would be fun... they're kind of transparent after all.

7. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, that would be pretty cool if I couldn't fit in an Al keyboard... I just wonder how I would wire it to power up... Hmmmm... I guess since I really don't have to worry about a warranty anymore... anyone know how I would go about doing this? Cause I haven't the foggiest.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you are just looking to wire in some LEDs your best bet would be to check out the connector that powers the keyboard yourself, im not sure it can handle it but would probably your best bet

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah, or you could try sneaking a small battery in there somewhere... it sounds like a fun project! You could even program/remove the extra enter key for a switch.

10. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, i'll definitely ask my engineer friend if he can help me build this... If it works in my PowerBook, I'll definitely have to use this in my iBook which I painted as well. Maybe blue light under the white keys on that to match the paintjob?

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Dude that is sweet.

Tell us what you discover/make!

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You can't swap in an AlBook for a TiBook keyboard. But the LED idea is pretty cool. Go for that!

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

A few people have done this before. Here's a guy from Smalldog who posted a tutorial (Yeah Vermont!). There was another kit i think i saw somewhere, but i can't seem to find it now. I'm sure someone will.

14. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

OK, after about an hour discussion and iBook disassembly, I'm pretty sure I know the route I'm going to go with this. I just need to figure out the switch mechanism, but other than that... I think I'm set. I'll let you know what happens, and I'll try to take some pics along the way like I did with the painting if anyone wants to try this in the future... should be done in the next few weeks! I'll post back when it is!

Thanks for all your quick replies and suggestions!