Powerbook LCD Dead--Need some advice please

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Frisco, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

My 1Gz Ti PB display is totally broken. It is out of warranty, plus it was my fault. I currently have it hooked up to an external, but I miss the portability of this beautiful computer. I love her!

What's my best bet to get the lcd replaced. I know they run around $1000 new. Any one have any experiences with refurbished lcds and if so where to get one.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Jsmit macrumors regular

Have you looked a PBFixIt they sell what seems to be used screens for less than $1000. They also have instructions for replacing the screens on their site so you can determine if his is a repair you want to try to tackle yourself. Are you sure it is the lcd itself or could it be the hinges or a conection? They would be a cheaper repair. Best of luck.

[edit: I have never purchased anything from PBFifIt or used their guides myself so I can not vouch for them.]

3. austink macrumors newbie

What screen size do you have I have a PB 15" and the main board is dead and I don't have any use for the screen. Replaced it with a 20" imac g5. You would have to know how to put it together.

4. advres Guest

advres

Ti books only came in 15" :rolleyes:

5. Jsmit macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the later TiBooks had screens with higher resolution than the early TiBooks. Didn't the screen resolution change when they switched from vga out to dvi out? I think austink was refering to resolution and not actual size, because as you said all TiBooks came with 15" screens.

6. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah the resolution did go up with the DVI PBs. I have a DVI model.

G4 Titanium DVI Display 15.2" LCD

Works In:

PowerBook G4 Titanium DVI Models
    (667, 800, 867 MHz or 1 GHz)

Resolution:
    1280x854

Please email me at JohnFrisco@gmail.com if you are still looking to sell :)

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Do you need to replace the screen, or the enitre display part?

The screen is the LCD part. The display is the bezeling and the LCD. Some powerbooks (olders ones) had speakers, etc, in their bezeling.

8. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

All I need the is the LCD (Screen).

9. jtown macrumors 6502

ebay. I got a 12" ibook LCD (complete with bezel and hinges) for around $130 including shipping. Can't beat that.

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Psst -- I think a 12" iBook LCD might look funny on a 15" TiBook. ;)

11. jtown macrumors 6502

That's called an example. :rolleyes: I didn't think I needed to spell it out.

PBFixit = $350 for an ibook LCD kit. ebay = $130.
    PBFixit = $800 for TiBook LCD kit. ebay = less than PBFixit.

I don't know what the ebay price range is for a TiBook LCD but it's going to be a lot less than PBFixit.

12. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Are You Sure?

Are you sure that you need a new screen? I ask because last year my Ti PB DVD drive failed and I replaced it. When I powered up after replacing the drive, I had no display. Investigating online and in the PB for possible causes, I discovered that I had accidently disconnected a very small, hard to reach, display connector. You didn't say how your screen came to be non-functional. I'm hoping that perhaps you did something like me and it's not really broken, just disconnected.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For those prices, it might be better to just buy new.