Powerbook LCD problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mads, Dec 18, 2002.

1. mads macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2002
    The screen on my lombard is getting really bad. A couple of months ago the LCD stopped showing all black colors, and replaced them with some kind of flimmering dark red. I took it to the local mac dealer, but they couldn't help me. About a week ago some more colors dissapeared, including some shades of red and blue, and were replaced with the same dark red color. Just today, when I turned it on, the whole screen was flimmering, and when the login screen apeared, I couldn't even see my name. When I moved the mouse the whole window followed it, but only vertically.

Does anyone know what this is?

Is the color going to eat the whole computer?
  2. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    Hope you have extended Apple Care or a buch of money, as this doesn't sound good. Look into a new iBook
  3. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    I got to agree this doesnt sound good...:(

It may be time for a new ibook as this will probably be a costly repair...
  4. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if it's a LCD panel problem or the video card issue. But it sounds like you need a repair.

BTW when I brought a TiBook in for a repair a while back in Tokyo, there was this guy with a PB G3 and the repair man was basically telling him that the situation is *real* bad. The screen part will cost him 120,000 Japanese Yen (=US$1000). Another financially wise suggestion was to get a cheap used G3 and take it apart as an organ donor. And this idea was clearly bothering the guy!

While the idea that "it's cheaper to buy a new one than to fix it" is environmentally not correct, like other guys said above, you should consider buying a new notebook unless you are sexually attached to your G3 baby ;)