Powerbook / Macbook and scratching

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by medic350, Feb 16, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2006
    Unfortunately, I bought a gateway tablet PC before I discovered how amazing macs are (i also have a 20" iMac G5). But, before I go out and drop a couple thousand on a mac book (which i'll probably wind up doing anyway), just wanted to check on the durability of the powerbook/macbook case. My gateway has a silver outside and despite the fact that its always either in my backpack (touching nothing more abrasive than a text book) or a laptop case, it has become incredibly scratched up. I have no idea how it happened, it's just scratched terribly!

I was just wondering how the exterior of the power/mac books hold up. Is a sleeve really necessary if you're putting it in a back pack? Does the exterior scratch easily? I can understand it scratching if its dropped, but after a year of owning it and taking decent care of it, does it still look as it did when you bought it? Thanks for the help!
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    I would always put it in a sleeve to prevent other things from knocking into it but my powerbook has been very durable. There have been times that I've knocked into it with a metal cup, or dragged something across the surface and there hasn't been any marks to prove it. It is definitely much more durable than dells or a gateway tablet my professor has.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2006
    oh and btw...are they titanium or aluminum? is there a difference?
  4. macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow