Powerbook/MacBook Pro Dilemma

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kretzy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Since the announcement of the MBP, I've been considering what my best options are regarding upgrading. My PB is not even a year old, but I'm worried that if I wait much longer to sell it, I won't get very much for it.

I was fortunate enough to only pay half price for my PB, and I will be in the same situation if I buy a MBP (my aunty gets a laptop rebate through her work, as it is a computer company).

My PB is in PERFECT working condition, the only imperfection is the case. There is a dint near the power adaptor (from when it was dropped), a little bit of case buckling, and one or two minor nicks/scratches. (I'll post pics as soon as I can get to my camera). How much do you guys think I will be able to sell it for? If I can get around $1500-$2000 (AU), that should be just about enough to cover the cost of a MBP. Is this realistic?

I don't really need the extra power of the MBP, I'd be happy to have my PB for several years. But if I act now, I can basically upgrade for very little cost (hopefully).

I don't know what to do :confused:

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this guys. ;)

2. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I would sell it and get the MBP. Like my cell phones, I sell them after like 6-9 months so that I can still get a good deal on them.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think your want and desire for the new shinny MacBook Pro has over exaggerated how 'obsolete' your PB will be. Also, I dont know very many people who buy a new computer with 'its resale value.' in mind. The first thing is to be honest, and say state why you really want the new MacBook Pro. (better processor, Frontrow, Magsafe powerthingy, iSight built in, etc.) and then see if its worth it for these things.

and for the record if i could get a MacBook Pro for 1/2 off, I would jump on it and never look back.

4. scu macrumors regular

It all depends on why you need a new powerbook. If you can get a good deal on a new MacPro, you might as well keep using what you have for as long as possible.

5. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

I've posted the pics here...I'd appreciate any advice.

6. guffman macrumors regular

guffman

7. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

It was the model previous to the HD screen gen.

8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Also known as Rev. D

9. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, I just got a little confused. :eek:

10. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Just saw the pics. my 15" powerbook just over a year old has the same dent near the power adapter (even though it has never been droped) and the lid doesnt sit evenly when closed.

If you can wait and still get half off wait until merom comes out. it will be faster. i think that if you have the choice and you have to get it now you should.

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Wow.. you pay HALF PRICE for the PB?

Jeez, I know those junkers are cheap but I didn't know they are that cheap! :rolleyes:

12. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

I'd say, since you could get USD 1,200 for it, you might want to do it if:
    a) You'd be comfortable selling it used, with the possibility of scams and everything.
    b) If you want to sell it now, you might want to find a computer to work with.
    c) You might want to wait till later to buy your MacBook Pro (at least order it) because some people are reporting JUNE for their shipping dates. Maybe the 2nd revision? Because June is nearing the 2nd revision anyway, and the 2nd revision looks like it might be a lot better than this one ;)

And your aunt gets half price?
    Damn, where does she work? (If you don't mind my asking)

13. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Keep the powerbook but let me use that awesome discount.