Powerbook, MacBook Pro or...what?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dambro1978, Jan 24, 2006.

1. dambro1978 macrumors regular

May 20, 2005
    I'm a molecular biology PhD student.
    My ibook G3 is about to die.
    Usually I use mostly Office, Photoshop and some Molecular Biology Analysis software, and obviously iLife for music,picture and video storage.
    How is it possible to know if a given software is going to run decently under rosetta?

Should I buy a MacBook Pro, and have all the transition problems for more or less one year or go with the last Powerbook and feel that I've spent 2000 Euro for an old machine?

What I hate in my ibook G3 is rendering of large pdf files (I have 8 Mb of video Ram).

Consider that the reason I'm moving to a Pro line is that the 15 inch screen is way better than that ugly 14 inched ibook screen.

Wait another 3 months and buy a simple macbook "non-Pro"?

Is there any other mac-fan scientist who can help me in the decision!?!?

2. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Feb 16, 2005
    Well... I bought a 15" Pb for university, which was great. Love the extra 'oomph' for games and my photography hobby. It really depends on whether you can wait... and on your financial situation.

Things I love about my Pb that the ibook doesn't have:
    Its goddamn sexy
    Excellent screen
    Feels well made, and high-end

Good luck with your studies.... I hope this helps.
  3. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    well i'm not a mac-fan "scientist". sorry. :p

but i would say - wait if you can. if you want an iBook.

otherwise, if your apps are all PPC code, not Universal binaries yet I would go for a current PowerBook. but like you said, you don't want to spend 2000 Euros on a soon to be outdated machine. i'd look around and buy refurbished - you can get some pretty good deals. i'm currently looking for a PM G5 - i can't wait for all the apps i use to go Universal.

hope that helps. :)