powerbook --> macbook worth it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AppleIntelRock, Aug 18, 2006.

1. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

do you think it would be worth it (speed wise) if i upgraded a 1 GHz 15 inch powerbook (2nd gen, not tibook) with 256 MB ram and 60 GB hd, to a base level macbook?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yeah, you'll definitely see a speed increase, but whether it's worth it or not depends on what you do with your PB, what you plan on doing with the MB, and whether you have the expendable income.

3. lizard79 macrumors member

depends on the apps your running. if they are universal or supported by rosetta the switch will be fine. if not you have to stay on ppc anyhow.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I upgraded my 12" 1.5Ghz, 1.25GB ram Powerbook to a white Macbook 2Ghz 2GB ram and yes it was definitely worth it.

5. Zorkon macrumors newbie

Definitely.

I went from a 1.5 GHz Powerbook G4 w/1.5 gigs of RAM to a 2.0 gig MacBook with 1.25 gigs of RAM and I definitely noticed a speed bump. The big thing was RAM; when I first got the MacBook, it only had 512 megs of RAM and it was quite painful to run older PPC apps in Rosetta. Once I stuck in more memory, all was good. I find it a much nicer machine overall than my old PB.

6. flyguy451 macrumors regular

Check my sig below; went from a 12" 1.5 PB to a 1.83 Macbook. I noticed a significant increase in speed. That's when the Macbook actually works! Sorry, someone in another thread said that I shouldn't be so sarcastic but it's hard not to be sarcastic when my Macbook is sitting on the shelf waiting for me to find the time to take it for it's second logic board replacement.

I'm in Canada so the warranty here is carry-in service only, I can't just put it in a box and send it in to be repaired. I'm about a thousand miles away from the Toronto Apple store where I bought the Macbook and I can't seem to make my schedule match the hours of my local authorized repair depot so I'm back working on my PB.

Now that I am back on my old reliable PB I'm reminded of how much I enjoyed using it and how reliable it is and how much I miss trusting that it won't just shut itself down in the middle of replying to email causing me to retype everything I lost.

My Macbook is a beautiful machine. It's fast and has lots of new features but that all means nothing if it doesn't work properly. Now I know that I'm in the minority and that the vast majority aren't having the same problems but I still believe that the Macbook was released before proper testing was complete. I don't appreciate paying for the privledge of being a beta tester and wish that I had waited before buying. YMMV, just my opinion.