Powerbook Memory Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by machiker, May 21, 2005.

1. machiker macrumors newbie

Apr 21, 2005
    I want to upgrade the memory in my Powerbook 17" (AL). Has anyone had any experience with these various memory brands?

Omni Technologies

The Omni memory says it's specifically for the Powerbook. Both memory come with a lifetime warrenty.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Sorry I dont have any experience with either brand. I would err on the side of caution and go with ram that is guaranteed to be 100% PowerBook compatible.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    I recommend purchasing from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac.

I have had no dealings with Omni, however I generally shy away from eBay only sellers, sellers who make absurd and unprovable claims like "exceeds factory specifications by 200%" "hyperformance" and sellers who don't make their brick and mortar address easily findable (else how are you going to claim on the warranty?)

In the USA I like Data Memory Systems www.datamem.com They have been in business 17 years and they are real Mac people.

4. TheRecluse macrumors newbie

May 29, 2005
    KINGMAX 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700)

I have this in my 15" 1.67GHz PowerBook and it works wonderfully. If you want more than 1 opinion, there are at least 2 dozen more in the customer reviews of the hardware.

And at only $120 including shipping it has great value.
  5. fradac macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    therecluse is right

i have been using Kingmax ram i got from new egg for about a month now. i upraded both dimms for a total of 2GB of ram (got two 1GB dimms

if you read the revies on newegg, many people have used the kingmax for apple products

it works.
  6. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I have heard mucho good things about datamem.com! That's what I would get!

CanadaRAM, how come you never recommend CanadaRAM.com....the RAM there looks nice! Or is it sold in Canada only?