Powerbook Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by twopenn'orth, Jan 31, 2005.

1. twopenn'orth macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2004
    I am planning to buy one of the new PB that has just been updated. But I am not sure how much RAM to buy preinstalled with the PB. I want 1Ghz or more overall.

So my questions are:

(1) Should I buy my extra memory from Apple or buy it from a second party (one of the many online stores selling PB memories)?

(2) Will buying the memory from the second party save me any money?

(3) Is the second party memory reliable? And is it difficult to installed myself?

Any advises will be welcome.

2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    Second party memory is fine, and will save you quite a bit of money. Just stick with the major names - Viking, Crucial, Kingston, etc... Your PB is picky about having good RAM in it.

It's VERY easy to install. In fact, somewhere in the box will be a sheet or page that will tell you how to do it. Just make sure to ground yourself!

768 MB is fine for most users, I've got 1Gigabyte in mine, and couldn't tell much difference between 768 and 1Gig. More's better, though, if you'll be doing lots of video, or image work.