Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyers2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Hi all,

I am a new mac switcher, as I just bought a Powerbook 15" and I would like to add 512mb memory to it. I have found this at my local Best Buy:

Kingston Technology 512MB PC2700 DDR SoDIMM Notebook Memory
Model: KVR333SO/512

It has some rebates on it, and I would like to buy it, but am inquiring about its compatibility with my new powerbook. Will it work?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
J

Gambuchi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2003
Oregon
additional memory

Check out OWC (Old World Computing)... I upped the memory on my APB 15" by 1 Gig and it is flawless...

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I checked prices on http://www.newegg.com and found several reviews where people talked about buying memory for their powerbooks. I was looking at a 1GB stick for my 12" powerbook G4. I think they are going for around $150 or less now.

flyers2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
weldon said:
I checked prices on http://www.newegg.com and found several reviews where people talked about buying memory for their powerbooks. I was looking at a 1GB stick for my 12" powerbook G4. I think they are going for around $150 or less now.

Yes, but this particular memory is $65 for 512. I thought it was a good deal... do you think it will work?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, he means Other World Computing: http://eshop.macsales.com/

I use OWC and have never had a problem...lifetime warranties and great customer service. They have a 512 stick available right now for $60 with no rebate hoops to jump through.

flyers2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Yes, he means Other World Computing: http://eshop.macsales.com/

I use OWC and have never had a problem...lifetime warranties and great customer service. They have a 512 stick available right now for $60 with no rebate hoops to jump through.

So the consensus is that this OWC is good memory and will be fully compatible with my powerbook? The 512 is okay? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
flyers2000 said:
Hi all,

I am a new mac switcher, as I just bought a Powerbook 15" and I would like to add 512mb memory to it. I have found this at my local Best Buy:

Kingston Technology 512MB PC2700 DDR SoDIMM Notebook Memory
Model: KVR333SO/512

It has some rebates on it, and I would like to buy it, but am inquiring about its compatibility with my new powerbook. Will it work?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
J

Wow all the usual RAM chimes but no one actually answered his question.

Yes, my guess is that the $65 Kingston will probably work, however make sure you can return it if it doesn't! Macs are picky about memory.

Hope that helps.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The PC Generic Kingston ValueRAM is not guaranteed for use in a Macintosh. The only RAM Kingston will guarantee in a Mac is the KTA- series, which are $250 - $300 for a 1 Gb module. You will notice that Frys/Outpost/whoever make no claim of Mac compatibility (and they don't state the warranty either)

The Kingston KVR-333 series 1 Gb modules use old-school TSOP chips, not the low-power-drain MBGA chips that are standard now. There is an good chance they won't work in your Powerbook, especially not in the 1 GHz and 1.25 15" and 1 GHz and 1.33 17" models.

Bottom line: Buy your RAM only from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility in your model Mac.

Buy PC generic at your own risk, be prepared for losing money to shipping charges and restocking fees if it doesn't work.

You can't go by someone saying "Yeah I bought this generic and it worked in my Powerbook"
Their Powerbook may be a different model, different Rev, different configuration.
The RAM they bought, even if the same part number, may be a completely different design than the one you'll get.
Their RAM may have failed the next day (very common - works OK until you really use a program that utilizes all the RAM, then blooey. Final Cut Pro is good at turning up bad RAM) or they may not have tested thoroughly. Etc.

sirius1722

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Seattle-area, WA
Just to chime in, I had heard about compatibility problems with Kingston RAM in PBs. I am using the RAM that I got from Outpost.com.....1GB is $150 + shipping. Had it in here for about 8 months now, no problem. I would go for the Outpost RAM.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Memory in new Powerbooks?

I'm considering to buy a new Powerbook, soon (my 6 month "old" one was stolen), and I want to upgrade memory to at least 768MB. Now, the new Powerbooks come with 512 MB (last generation came with 256, one slot free), so if I upgrade, I'll have to remove 256 MB from the second slot, ist that true? Is Apple trying to force us to buy their premium priced memory this way?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Also, you never specified how many pins the Kingston RAM is. I believe your PB only takes 200-pin SODIMM sticks like my 12" PB is.

I'd also get RAM from a reputable dealer. And you don't need an extra 1GB stick unless you're doing some heavy duty stuff. Get a 512MB stick of RAM for cheap (and yet from a good company like OWC or something), and you'll have a total of 1GB anyway.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
sirius1722 said:
Just to chime in, I had heard about compatibility problems with Kingston RAM in PBs. I am using the RAM that I got from Outpost.com.....1GB is $150 + shipping. Had it in here for about 8 months now, no problem. I would go for the Outpost RAM.
Now, you see, this information doesn't help one bit.
You got lucky and got some RAM that has worked (so far). But we don't know what RAM it is.
And even if you had provided a make and model number, if it is generic RAM there's a good chance that the manufacturer has altered the design of the module between then and now, and the compatibily may be completely different.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
weg said:
I'm considering to buy a new Powerbook, soon (my 6 month "old" one was stolen), and I want to upgrade memory to at least 768MB. Now, the new Powerbooks come with 512 MB (last generation came with 256, one slot free), so if I upgrade, I'll have to remove 256 MB from the second slot, ist that true? Is Apple trying to force us to buy their premium priced memory this way?

No, they come with 1, 512 MB SODIMM.

sirius1722

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Seattle-area, WA
CanadaRAM said:
Now, you see, this information doesn't help one bit.
You got lucky and got some RAM that has worked (so far). But we don't know what RAM it is.
And even if you had provided a make and model number, if it is generic RAM there's a good chance that the manufacturer has altered the design of the module between then and now, and the compatibily may be completely different.

I should have posted more info, sorry :p The RAM I got was pretty much generic RAM. It had a brand on it, but I forget what it is. I don't think luck had anything to do with it, as there was a thread around the same time I bought my RAM about that particular stick of RAM. It not only worked for me, but several others without any problems across various Rev. PBs and different configurations (I, myself had a Rev. C 12" and I am a power user). Didn't hear of one case where it didn't work and that's why I bought it. However, I checked today to get the link, but Outpost no longer seems to be offering it anymore. They offer two 1GB sticks from Kingston (as mentioned earlier in the thread) and one from K-Byte for the same price. I think my main point is that just because something isn't "Mac certified" doesn't necessarily mean it won't work and/or work well. If it works, it works. Search around on the Net for other users accounts on compatibility.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
flyers2000 said:
So the consensus is that this OWC is good memory and will be fully compatible with my powerbook? The 512 is okay? Please let me know.

Thanks!

I got the same one last year for my PB 15" and move it to my PB 17" since I switched...it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.