Powerbook Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pcproff, Apr 23, 2005.

1. pcproff macrumors member

pcproff

Ok! I have finally decieded I am going to add more memory to my powerbook for its one yr purchase date. I want to add one gig. Which company should I go with? Should I have an Apple store install it? Will it void my warranty? How hard is it to install on a powerbook?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

> I want to add one gig.

Good decision

> Which company should I go with?

Choose a reputable seller that offers a lifetime warranty, tests and guaranteed compatibility with your model Mac. I like http://www.datamem.com

> Should I have an Apple store install it?

No

> Will it void my warranty?

No, unless you do something really stupid and damage the machine yourself. If you aren't confident, then have a tech install it.

> How hard is it to install on a powerbook?

Easy. Depending on your model it is either under the keyboard or under a hatch on the bottom of the machine. Jeweller's Phillips screwdriver needed. Take-apart instructions are available in your user's manual or online at apple.com and elsewhere.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

More ram is always good! :cool:

No, it won't void the warranty. Just don't break anything :p . It shouldn't be terribly difficult. Installing ram is just about the easiest task that involves opening your computer.

and i've heard great things about www.crucual.com

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

newegg

here is a good price on ram link. Read the reviews.

Nuc

5. S14-Racer macrumors newbie

Nuc, that is the exact stick I have had in my new 15" powerbook since the day I got it on the 8th... I had it overnighted so it would get here the day I picked up my powerbook. It has worked flawlessly, btw...

Anyway, the install was easy, just take a #0 phillips and remove the 4 screws holding the access panel in place. I noticed they had blue loctite on the screws, so if you use a bit of downward pressure while twisting, you will be less likely to damage the head in any manner.

One thing with ram is that it always takes a bit more effort to seat into the slot then one thinks. This being my first powerbook, and notebook I didnt want to damage it by pushing the ram into the slot with to much force.. It didnt seem to be seating so I removed the lower 512mb stick to see how much force was needed to remove it. Then I placed the 1gig stick into the lower slot, using more force, and all was well. Then I placed the 512 stick in the top slot, as this config would save me the hassle of removing both sticks again if I ever wanted to up to 2 gigs.