Powerbook Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pcproff, Apr 23, 2005.

1. pcproff macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL.
    Ok! I have finally decieded I am going to add more memory to my powerbook for its one yr purchase date. I want to add one gig. Which company should I go with? Should I have an Apple store install it? Will it void my warranty? How hard is it to install on a powerbook?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    > I want to add one gig.

Good decision

> Which company should I go with?

Choose a reputable seller that offers a lifetime warranty, tests and guaranteed compatibility with your model Mac. I like http://www.datamem.com

> Should I have an Apple store install it?

> Will it void my warranty?

No, unless you do something really stupid and damage the machine yourself. If you aren't confident, then have a tech install it.

> How hard is it to install on a powerbook?

Easy. Depending on your model it is either under the keyboard or under a hatch on the bottom of the machine. Jeweller's Phillips screwdriver needed. Take-apart instructions are available in your user's manual or online at apple.com and elsewhere.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    More ram is always good! :cool:

No, it won't void the warranty. Just don't break anything :p . It shouldn't be terribly difficult. Installing ram is just about the easiest task that involves opening your computer.

and i've heard great things about www.crucual.com
  4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003

here is a good price on ram link. Read the reviews.

5. S14-Racer macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005
    Nuc, that is the exact stick I have had in my new 15" powerbook since the day I got it on the 8th... I had it overnighted so it would get here the day I picked up my powerbook. It has worked flawlessly, btw...

Anyway, the install was easy, just take a #0 phillips and remove the 4 screws holding the access panel in place. I noticed they had blue loctite on the screws, so if you use a bit of downward pressure while twisting, you will be less likely to damage the head in any manner.

One thing with ram is that it always takes a bit more effort to seat into the slot then one thinks. This being my first powerbook, and notebook I didnt want to damage it by pushing the ram into the slot with to much force.. It didnt seem to be seating so I removed the lower 512mb stick to see how much force was needed to remove it. Then I placed the 1gig stick into the lower slot, using more force, and all was well. Then I placed the 512 stick in the top slot, as this config would save me the hassle of removing both sticks again if I ever wanted to up to 2 gigs.