Powerbook Models

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Z6128, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Z6128 macrumors regular

i am trying to decide on which PowerBook to get and was wondering what people thought of their Powerbooks (Aluminum Models). i also had some questions about the powerbooks.

1.does the 12in make you go cross-eyed after a while?

2.how portable is the 15in model?

3.is the 17 in just too big to carry around?

4.is there a big difference between 1.5ghz and 1.67ghz?

5.how is the screen quality on the Powerbooks.

6.how are the graphics?

7.is the ATI Radeon 9700 a better video card than the NVIDEA card found in the 12in Powerbooks?

8.how is the backlit keyboard

thanks in advance for any input.

2. RooX macrumors newbie

Answered under each question

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I can only touch on a few here and there.

Does the 12in make me go crosseyed?
    Absolutely not. Although, I would catch myself with my face just 6 inches from the screen while working on some intricate projects.

Screen quality on the PowerBooks?
    As stated above, good, not great. More than sufficient for just about everything, but they could stand to be a little bit brighter. Also, my 12in needed special calibration to be close to color-accurate.

Hope it helps.

4. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. i'm deciding right now whether to get the 12in PowerBook Combo drive with a 20in ACD or a 15in PowerBook Superdrive. in the end they ocme out to be almost the same price. any suggestions.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, I've sold my 12in PowerBook and will be purchasing a 15in PowerBook very soon. I opted for the 15 over a 12 + External because I still wanted a complete portable solution.

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It seems that if you would have gone with a superdrive, you really have no urgent need for a dvd burner. That being the case, why not go for the 15'' with a combo drive, save those extra $200 and get a cinema display later. If you do plan on using a dvd burner then by all means the second plan is better.

7. Z6128 thread starter macrumors regular

rockthecasbah thanks for the advice. that's most likely what i'll be doing.
    i don't think i'd be able to get used to the smaller screen being that all the computers i use now have either a 15in or larger screen.and for now, i don't have a need for a dvd burner. i can always get an external DL burner later on if i need it. thanks for the help everyone

8. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

You're welcome :D