Powerbook now or Powerbook later?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nataku, Nov 7, 2005.

1. nataku macrumors regular

nataku

hi all. my friend is actually thinking of getting a powerbook. the only thing is... i told him about the new rumors of Intel Powerbooks coming out around april-june next year. i also pointed out that getting the intel powerbook is definitely an unavoidable future for mac users. eventually, numerous apps would be Intel version only. i also wanted to get your opinions and show this forum to my friend. so what do you think? :)

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

if he can wait, more power to him. if not, buy now! they kick ass!

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

wait is the wise thing to do...why rush into something...

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

If he can really wait for another 6 months or so, let him get the Intel Power Books, but if he wants to gets one right now and needs it, they are really good systems and will last some time.

5. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

You have to be pretty brave to leap in and buy the first version of a new Apple product, because they invariably have a number of issues, which take time to iron out. Plus of course what starts as BTO options tend to become standard configs in future versions.

Assuming Intel powerbooks do come out mid-2006 I would buy a powerbook now, use it for two years plus and then upgrade to the latest iteration of the powerbook at that time.

Vanilla

6. nataku thread starter macrumors regular

nataku

hmm... good. good. please keep em opinions coming folks! :)

7. revisionA macrumors 6502

Being Silly...

Its just plain silly, if you need a laptop, they rock... if you are hoping to buy the only system you will ever need in your whole life... umm, have you been watching computers for the last 5-10 years?

$

8. nataku thread starter macrumors regular

nataku

look dude, some people are really careful when they spend their cash. some people are not sure when and if they ever will get money to buy a laptop again. they are very careful with what they invest in. look around the forums. you are obviously new here. some people still have Macs that are 5 years old and they still use it up to this very day. dont assume that everyone in this world are born with cash that flows out of their wallet. have you been thinking like this for the last 5-10 years? :rolleyes: anyway. please do continue posting folks. we just need opinions that WILL HELP US and people who are in the same situation as my friend.

9. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I have been a Mac user Since August 2005. I expect my iBook to last me somewhere in the region of 5 years. I already have Office 2004 and Photoshop Elements 2.0 on it. Those softwares and iTunes, Safari, iPhoto, Fetch are the only programs I use. My computer is plenty fast for me and don't see any room for improvement. I have even used Mactheripper and OpenShiiva to watch the hidden ending on the Bourne Supremacy.

So to the point. What is the computer that he is currently using? Is up to standards for what he does? If not, then buying the Powerbook now would be great. The current Rev E. are excellent machines. If his computer is getting him by and he can wait, then wait. There is never a time in the technology world where waiting hurts. It only improves the product that you were going to buy.

10. Melkor macrumors 6502

Buy it now. As mentioned earlier, it would be risky buying the first intel pb's. Live in the moment and get it now :D .

11. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

To buy or not to buy

One of the great things about Apple is that there stuff ususally has a longer desk-life than PCs. This is in terms of technology- not just wear and tear. One of the bad things about Apple is that when the new stuff comes out Mac users are ususally envolped by a serious envy for the latest thing that they ususally throw away a perfectly functional computer to have the new one. This is a confession.

Why doesn't your friend buy a refurbished powerbook, get applecare (if he is concerned about breakdown etc) for a couple of years and then make the switch. Provided his cash flow agrees with him.

I am very happy with my powerbook- a great machiene that does everything I want and will last me until the second generation powerbook Intel machienes have been released.

My advice is go second or refurb and then upgrade.:cool:

12. revisionA macrumors 6502

My point is, things always get cheaper and faster eventually. If a powerbook is a major expense for someone, like it usually is, check the buyers guide on this site for example. It shows you how long the current revision has been out and a history of typical delays between updates.

When you wait 6 months for an update, and then it happens, two weeks later there might be another rumor of an even juicer update, just another couple of months down the pipe.

The manufacturer wants you to think the current model is a great value.

The rumorboards are always chasing after the elusive best deal per gigaflop (or however you want to specify CPU HP!).

Who can you trust then? Your wallet. If it costs you over a months pay, its probably too much for you to handle. There is always the very capable iBook.

$

13. itmakesmecool macrumors newbie

itmakesmecool

If your friend is interested in a Intel PB but needs a computer right now you may consider purchasing a refurb model that will last you until the second revision or so of the new Mac Intels.

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Macs hold a good value. You can sale a Mac, upgrade, and the costs are not that much.

15. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I agree. You will always be unhappy in the technology world if you think, "If I just wait a little bit more..." Either a refurb PB or even a 14" iBook would hold you over during the transition. There is always a pandora's box with new machines (ie heat issues, new apps, etc...)

16. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I think you should respect revisionA's opinion a little more and take it for what it's worth. He never said to buy a new system every 6 months because he's so sure your friend can afford it. He's trying to tell you that there is ALWAYS going to be a newer, better system arriving in the near future for everyone to look forward to, so there's no point in waiting if your friend needs/wants a PB now.

Say he/she waits til next June, buys a, Intel PB, and loves it. Awesome, but now he sees in a thread at macrumors.com that 8 months from then that there will be another PB update with an even greater speed/performance bump and TONS of new features. How does he have to wait to make a purchase before A) he's 100% satisfied with the current revision and is certain there will never be another PB update as long as he lives, or B) there is always going to be something better available to consumers if they wait, meaning that if you're willing to wait another 6 months to get something better, why not wait 6 YEARS and see what his 2k or so will buy him then? I bet it'll be something far greater than a measly Intel PB... :rolleyes:

17. revisionA macrumors 6502

Thanks for backing me up man.

I just got the current powerbook and I recommend it if you can afford it.

I own a g5, sold my previous ebay purchased quicksilver and have been building pcs and supporting them for over 12 years.

If you are a student, an ibook is a great value.

$

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I just think that you should purchase what you need when you have a need. There will always be something new coming out. I also think it best to wait for the Rev. B Intel Mac, prefer to avoid the compatibility issues.

19. nataku thread starter macrumors regular

nataku

thanks folks! my friend and i truly appreciated your help. he opted to go for the refurbished model of an iBook. so that he will still have some cash to spare and save up for an intel powerbook. it was a pretty tough choice. he really wanted a powerbook. but, being the "money concious" guy that he is, he accepted the iBook... for now at least. thanks so much to those who truly helped. :)

20. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

the powerbook isn't that great right now... in term of speed

why not wait for another few months?